Chapter 43 - Jack-Shit

"Ma'am, your total is $29.99."

       The h/c-headed girl's hair is styled into a long, low ponytail on the back of her head. She takes that ugly grey wallet out of her rose purse, and hands the cashier a hundred-dollar bill. She hates grey, but her pretty-pink wallet was stolen just yesterday, so she asked her fiancé, Connor, to lend her his. 

"Keep the change."

      She places the grocery bags into her cart, taking one last look at the cashier, who looks like they've had a rough day. To be fair, everyday would be a bad day if you had to work in this dump, she thinks.

      Pushing her shopping cart through the driveway, she lets out a loud sigh which even the lovey-dovey couple lovey-doving behind the car next to hers can hear. The h/c-ette opens her trunk, throwing her bags inside it. She's had a rough day, too.

"Anastasia, calm down, it's going to be okay."

       Connor comforts her, caressing her arms by sliding his hands up and down them. She nods, putting on a soft smile. She breathes in once more. Breathe in, 1, 2, 2. Breathe out, 1, 2, 3. Relax, Anastasia. Don't worry him.

"Yeah, I know. Thanks."

      Her boyfriend opens the car door for her, patting her back as she sits down in the front seat. He walks around the car, taking his own seat right next to hers. Her hands go around the steering wheel, backing out of the parking spot carefully, as she fails to be in a good state of mind.

      "Hey, Conny?"

She asks, calling him by that nickname he dislikes, but she so enjoys calling him for some reason. Maybe it's because she enjoys the way it slips off her tongue when pronounced; so smooth.

"Yeah, babe?"

      "Why do you wanna marry me? Like, I know I'm incredibly sexy and my personality is out of this world, but it can't just be that, right? You're not betrothing yourself to me so you can live off my salary, right Conny?"

The man laughs, his raven hair complimenting the color of his dark laughing eyes. 

     "Of course it's because of your money! You didn't think I actually loved you because of your frightening intelligence or your enticing curves, did you?"

        Anastasia giggles back mischievously, playfully punching his shoulder without taking her eyes off the road.

"I'm being serious, idiot! Dumbass, answer the question."

       He closes his eyes, grinning helplessly. He admires her long, h/c hair once opening them, and stares at her glistening e/c eyes that reflect off of the light of the windows. He doesn't require time to think about his answer, he already has a million reasons flooding into his head like a tsunami.

"It's because I love you, Anastasia. And also, Andrews is a pretty cool last name. Connor Andrews, the consonants and vowels are so ordinary, it's weird. Don't you think?"

      She sighs, observing the fresh bird-poop that must have found shelter on her beloved vehicle's window while she was out shopping.

"I love you too, Connor. You know that, right?"

       He nods.

"I know I don't always show it, but I do. I'm sorry for saying those things about your sister, I didn't mean it. Maribel's kind of like the sister I never had."

"I know, she thinks the same of you. Once we're married, you two will be actual sisters, even if it's just by law."

       He places his soft, warm hand on her colder, harder one. She raises her head, staring at the soft grey ceiling of the car as to avoid the falling of her tears. How she hates that god-awful color.