Chapter 2

Axel's POV

"Yes sir, I'll set up the meeting immediately," I said then hung up. "Family meeting," I yelled down the hall.

Marc came stumbling out of his room, rubbing his face. Looks like someone had a rough night, I chuckled to myself. Raven and Corey came down the hall shortly after with Brandon following, grumbling under his breath.

"Morning sunshines," I snarked as they all began inhaling coffee. "We've got a job and it might get messy."

They all gave me curious glances, and Corey asked, "On or off the books?"

"Off. It's vamp related," I said, waiting for them to implode in 3..2..1.

"What the fuck, Axel? I thought you of all people wanted to stay as far away from their drama as possible?" Brandon groaned.

"Da, why we get involved with blood-suckers? Hell, wolves are bad enough," Raven growled. Corey looked like he wanted to pass out, and Marc just gave me a sympathetic look.

"Hunters."

They all fell silent. All the guys knew what I was and what had happened to my mother.

"Who are we protecting - a human or a vampire?" Corey asked quietly.

"She's a vamp, but she's lived among humans for at least twenty years. She's one of the only known vamps to have escaped this particular group of hunters. Ever since then, she's stayed hidden, living as a human." I explained.

"If she's living as a human, then why is she hiring us? Isn't she already pretty safe," Brandon asked.

I let out a sigh. "She didn't hire us. Thaddeus did. He's her sire and he blames himself for what happened to her back then. Guess it was a really big thing. She even left the clan and broke the sire bond over it all. She refuses to return so this is his next best bet to try and keep her safe. He just wants us to keep an eye until he can get the situation under control."

"So when do we meet her?" Marc grinned.

"Tomorrow at eleven. We'll join her for lunch at her offices downtown," I smirked.

Raven gulped, "Lunch?" Poor Russian looked like he was ready to pass out.

I laughed, "Lives like a human, remember? Russian is not on the menu, buddy."

****

A short brunette led us down a hall to a thick cherry wood door. The nameplate read C. Rose. She knocked on the door and a melodic voice called out for us to enter. The brunette opened the door and ushered us inside. "Mr. Toma and his associates have arrived, Ms. Rose. Your lunch order should arrive shortly. Is there anything you need in the meantime?"

Ms. Rose stood from her desk, her dark hair falling in waves around her pale face. "No, Sarah, that will be all for now, thank you." The young woman nodded and darted out the door, making sure to pull it closed after her. "Gentlemen, please come in and make yourselves comfortable. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of ordering for everyone." She motioned to the sitting area near two large windows. There was an L-shaped couch and several overstuffed chairs around a pair of coffee tables. To be honest, it was an inviting space and not what I was expecting at all.

We all took a seat and sat in awkward silence for a few moments until she spoke again. "So I'm guessing Thaddeus has filled you all in on the situation at hand?" she asked, fidgeting with her bracelet.

I studied her for a moment longer, then replied, "Yes, Ms. Rose, he briefed me and I have in turn briefed my team."

"Callie, please, call me Callie," she corrected me softly. "First let me say that I appreciate Thaddeus's intent and your willingness to watch out for me, but I do not expect any of you to place yourselves in harm's way for my sake."