Chapter 9

Axel's POV

When Owen agreed to let us come out, I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my chest. I know it's going to be awkward and cramped, but at least I can keep her safe. "So what did he say?" Brandon asked, stepping into the room.

"They all agreed to let us stay, but they are having some issues too. Looks like they're dealing with rogues again. I said we'd help with patrols to earn our keep," I told him.

"Yeah, I have no problem with that," he answered.

"The attacks have them limited on space, so we're double-bunking. You and Marc will share."

He tossed a pillow at me, "Well that's not fair. How come you get the good-smelling roomie?" I shot him a fake glare as he started laughing. "Yeah, yeah, I know...soulmates," he rolled his eyes. "Seriously, I get it, and I'm happy for you, but I am a bit jealous. She's amazing, man."

I grinned, "Yeah, I know it. Not sure what the gods were thinking when they stuck her with me, but I won the fucking lottery of mates, man."

****

When we pulled up to the Blackbourne pack land gates, I was surprised. It had been a while since we had been here, and it looked like security was almost triple what I remember. North and Silas met us at the gate, waving our car through. We stopped just inside and I rolled down the SUV window. "Hey North, Silas, thanks for showing us the way." I could feel Callie's heart rate pick up a bit. She was sitting in the back with Marc. Corey and Raven were following us in the Jeep.

"Not a problem, Ax. Just follow us to the cabin and we'll help you guys get unloaded then put the cars in the garage," North replied. We followed them down a private road lined with fir trees until we reached the Blackbourne cabin. I could tell they hadn't been here long as the flowerbeds were neglected and overgrown. Those had always been Owen's pride and joy. He and Sang would spend hours taking care of them. I glanced up and met Callie's eyes. She gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze when she sensed my discomfort.

Owen and Sean stood on the porch with Phil as we approached. They all looked exhausted. We parked behind North and I got out, then opened the door for Callie, who quickly took my hand. "Axel, it's good to see you," Owen said, extending his hand. "Who is this lovely creature you've brought to our home?"

"Owen, I'd like you to meet my mate, Callie Rose," I introduced her and heard Phil make a strangled sound.

"Uh, sorry to interrupt, but did you say your last name was Rose?" he asked, coming next to Owen.

She nodded, "Yes. Actually, my full name is Princess Calista Leandre Rose of Lyonesse, however, after a few hundred years titles get a bit ostentatious, so I just go by Callie now." I thought he was going to pass out.

"Phil, are you okay?" Sean asked him.

"She...she's Amelia's great, great, great aunt," he sputtered. "But how? The family lineage says you died."

She gave a grin, "Well, technically, I did. Maybe we should step inside and I can explain." Well, I guess I get to learn yet another new fact about my mate.

"Let's get the car unloaded and you can regale us with your tale at dinner if that's okay with you?" Owen suggested. "That way, our Ms. Rose can join us and meet her long-lost ancestor."

Callie froze, "She's here, but how?"

Phil grinned, "She's my mate, and human."

"That's wonderful!" she squealed. "I can't wait to meet her." We each grabbed our bags and followed Owen into the house.