Chapter 40

Callie's POV

Gabriel kissed me one last time before he began to walk away and simply vanished. Gathering my courage I began to head in the direction he advised. The air seemed heavy and warm as I walked. Damn, I'd kill for a comfy pair of shoes and some shorts right now. Stupid flowy gowns.

I'd walked for almost an hour when I sensed a presence behind me. I spun and shot a wave of fire and air at him before he could even speak. "How dare you! How dare you fuck with my life, with their lives!" I screamed.

Sam blocked the magic, and hung his head, "I know and you have every right to hate me, but I'm here to try and help now. I promise, Callie girl, I didn't have all the information. I believed what Hecate said. I mean, fuck, she's been my lover for thousands of years. I never even considered that she was lying to me."

"Give me a single reason I should believe you? What if this is just another of your lies?" I seethed, my hands glowing with flames. Within seconds, the area around me spiraled with flames as my anger grew out of control.

Sam's eyes went wide and he fell to the ground before me. "You..you're...oh fuck, Victor was right. Callie you're a goddess," he sputtered.

"Tell me something I don't already know," I snorted.

"Hecate has given Cerberus incubus essence to trap your wolf." I blinked in surprise. North's warning coming back to me. The fucking dog really was going to try and separate me from Kait. "If he traps Kait, it will draw out the bear shifter as well. Once that happens, she plans to use poison to trap your soul in the Underworld so Hades can impregnate you before Persephone returns."

I let out a frustrated breath pulling the fire back inside me. "What did Victor tell you?"

"He found you in thousands of myths across time and pantheons. He says you're a fertility goddess," he looked down when he said the next part. "He also said you die each time along with your unborn children."

I felt sick to my stomach.

"What can I do to help you?" he asked finally.

"You can't help me, Sam, but you can help the ones I love, starting with releasing Gabriel from his bargain." His eyebrows raised and I chuckled as I summoned the swirling lights as I had done on the ferry. When the light reached him, his demonic form was revealed.

"How are you doing that?" he gaped.

"No clue, but with this lovely gift, I saw Charon's true intended form as well as the form you have condemned Gabriel to. I won't allow it. You say you want to help me, then assure those I love will be free of this fucked up game of the gods. If I'm meant to die, then let it just be me, not them - not any of them!" My voice boomed and the ground shook. I was starting to understand what Charon had meant about finding my power. Much like Corey and Brandon, mine seemed to be tied to my emotions as well.

Sam stood and held out his hand, "I agree to your terms." I took his bony hand and sealed the agreement. I released his hand and started to turn away when he stopped me. "Callie I really am sorry for my part in this. When you face Hades, remember to not fear the fire, for we will be waiting there for you. Hold on to your fire during the battle. You will need it to guide you and to find your way home."

I nodded. His words were so similar to those Ériu had said just before I 'died' the last time. I felt a shiver go up my spine as he vanished and I heard a chuffing sound. "Fuck," I groaned as I turned and came face to face with the three snarling heads of Cerberus. "Damn, this is going to hurt," I muttered.

"Took you long enough, little wolf," he gruffed. I was instantly hit with a mix of pheromones and incubus essence as I swayed slightly. "Shift," he commanded, and no matter how much I fought it, my body followed his command. I felt Kait shivering as she pushed me back.