Chapter 78

*** Get your tissues ready, my lovelies***

Multiple POVs

Lisette's POV

"What are you talking about? The twins were the first time I'd been pregnant in this lifetime," Callie demanded.

"Oh my sweet, naive sister, you were pregnant when Lisette had you abducted. Seems Thaddeus was far more potent than I imagined. But what started out as a burden, soon became a wonderful opportunity for me and your former lovers." Sang's eyes danced with insanity. "It took me lifetimes to draw them all together. Time after time, killing one here or there to ensure they were all born in this cycle, but finally I'd brought nine of them together. Then with a little help, I simulated your bond to them and they fell like dominos." Sang ran her hand over Kota's cheek, "Then with Clay and Rhea's help, we stole your child's life force and implanted it in mine. A simple potion to mimic heat, and voila, I'm with child."

I gasped, "What are you talking about, she wasn't pregnant." I heard Callie choke back her sobs as she struggled against her restraints. My brother growled low at the witch.

Sang took a few steps toward me and patted my cheek, "Just as naive as my sister, Lisette. All those years I twisted and manipulated you to think this was your grand scheme, your way to gain power when it was actually me that was benefiting. It was me that led Taddeus to Calista in the first place." I gaped, unable to speak as all the memories fell into place.

"The prophecy," I stammered.

"False," she laughed. "You were so desperate you believed all of it. Then I convinced you to turn me so that I could stay in the same timeline as her."

"But what you didn't count on was the bloodlust," Thaddeus growled. "So instead of your ultimate revenge, you drained the life from the only child you've ever managed to have."

Kota gave a strangled cry as he met her gaze, "Please, please tell me you didn't, Sang - not our son."

For a brief moment, there was a flash of sadness in her eyes, then she quickly looked away and hissed at Thaddeus, "You should keep your mouth shut, old man."

"Maybe you should have thought of that before admitting you and my sister killed my only child," he snarled as he fought at his restraints. I cringed when his eyes landed on me - filled with hatred. I wanted to beg - I didn't know, but it wouldn't matter, not anymore. I was just as guilty as she was.

She slapped him across the face with enough strength to bring blood to his lips. "You and your idiot sister are nothing more than a means to an end. I've lived more lives than you, vampire. You are nothing but a bug to me," she growled and dug her nails into his arm as he groaned in pain.

"Stop it," I yelled.

"You have what you want, just leave them alone," Callie said.

She turned and laughed, "What I want is to see you suffer, Zia. Now I have to start the curse all over again, but this time you get to die and stay dead. Your daughters on the other hand, well, they get to suffer in your place for all of eternity." She gave an evil smirk, "Or maybe, I'll curse one and raise the other as my own. She should have been mine after all. I'm the one who was meant to make a life with Cadmus." She walked to the crib and ran her hand over Mela's cheek, "What do you think sweet shadow girl? Do you want me to be your new mommy?" My skin crawled.

The entire room shook. "Get your hands off my daughter!" Axel's voice roared as he and Owen threw the doors open. His eyes were pitch black as wisps of shadow swirled around him. Sang's mouth parted with a shocked gasp as she stumbled back away from the crib.

"Cadmus," she gasped.

"I haven't been him for a long time, Sang, but even back then I saw you for the conniving bitch you really are," he yelled. "Your plan would never have worked. Why can't you see that? Avroclayth couldn't make me love you. You would have ended up pregnant by a man that loathed the sight of you. My family would have taken the child and killed you to save face with the elders. This insanity has to stop, Sang. Let go of your anger and revenge." His voice dropped, his vampire speaking now, "You are still family. Let us help you."

"Family?" Sang snarled, "How pathetic. My family threw me away - first my parents, then my sister. Even my so-called mates forgot me when she showed up." She spun and locked eyes on Callie. Her mates had freed her and the others from their restraints. "You are not my family. You are a worthless whore who stole everything from me," she screamed and launched a ball of fire toward Callie.

I screamed as I watched three of the men shoot magic at Sang, sending her flying across the room and into a wall, but it was too late. I watched in horror as my brother threw himself in front of Calista. She screamed, begging for help, his scorched and bleeding body held in her arms. I made my way to the door while the room was in chaos.

Callie's POV

One minute a ball of fire is sailing toward me, the next, Thaddeus is shoving me aside as it sliced into him. "Please, please help him," I begged them. Sean shook his head as tears fell.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

I turned my attention back to the man who created me, the man who protected me even from afar, and apparently, the man I had created a child with. "No, please, no. You fool, why did you do that," I sobbed, cradling his body, knowing I couldn't save him. "You can't just leave me like this, not you Thaddeus, please."

"Oh, my sweet flower, seeing that look in your eyes is all I need to die a happy man," he said softly. "I love you, Calista. Now be a good girl and go kill my sister," he chuckled as blood seeped from his lips.

I bent my head and kissed him softly, "I love you too, Thaddeus." When I pulled my lips away, I was met with his now empty eyes, and let out a piercing cry.

Axel's POV

When her head fell back and a scream came from her lips, the entire building shook violently. Her eyes were pitch black and she trembled. "Callie," I said softly as I tried to reach for her. She growled and bared her fangs, then vanished.

What the hell?

We heard a shrill scream and those that could, raced toward the sound. I was not prepared for the sight before me.

She was crouched over Lisette's bloody body holding her heart in her hand. Her voice sounded ominous as she spoke, "Kaldererotik erbesteratzen zaitut - inoiz ez birjaio," then she bit into the heart and screamed again before collapsing to the ground.

Gabriel beat me to her, scooping her up. "Stupid girl," he muttered.

"What did she just do?" I asked, brushing her hair back.

"She cursed Lisette's soul to never reach the cauldron, to never be reborn," Corey answered. "That was a lot of magic, is she okay?"

Gabe growled, "I have no idea. Her demon is exhausted, I can't connect with it."

"Let's get her cleaned up and home," I said.

"What do we do about Thaddeus?" Luke asked softly. "We can't just leave him here."

"We bring him with us. Sean can keep his body in the morgue until she tells us what we need to do." I knew she would need more closure. To find out that they had created a child together and then lose him within minutes was more than I could imagine handling.

I swear I'm going to kill Sang if it's the last thing I do.

Author's Notes:   :( Thaddeus