Chapter 70

Marc's POV

Callie's revelation about Clay had caused a rift in the group for quite a while. I couldn't get the memories of what he'd done over and over again out of my mind no matter how much she tried to explain his change. Gabriel and Axel's willingness to accept her decision surprised me. I mean, shit, Gabe's a fucking demon because of the guy, and he killed Axel's mom - how the fuck can they just let that go?

The tension had made the months of her pregnancy difficult for everyone.

"Penny for your thoughts," Axel said, sitting beside me on the porch swing.

I shrugged, "Same thoughts. I just can't let it go."

He sighed, "Are you willing to walk away from Callie and our daughters?"

"Fuck no!" I yelled.

"Then you have to, Marc. She wouldn't ask you to choose, but that's exactly what you are doing to her. I mean I get it, I really do. The son of a bitch killed my mom - sort of, but if what they claim is true, then his connection to her is almost as strong as a mate bond now." He shook his head, "How do you ask her to ignore that?"

I knew he was right. I had to find a way to get past this. He put his hand on mine, "I love you."

I clasped his hand, "I love you too. I know you're right. It's just hard."

"I know," he said softly. "Guess we should head back inside for lunch. Hungry Callie isn't a happy woman."

We stood to head inside when we heard a loud popping sound. Clay stood before us, bloodied and panting. "She knows," he said, gasping for air, "Hide Zia. I can't fight the command for long," and then he vanished.

Fuck!

****

"Sorry it's so crowded, we'll get another room or two set up as quickly as possible," Sam apologized for the millionth time. After the initial panic of Avroclayth's announcement, we reached out to Sam and Lilith for help. So now we were somewhere in the depths of what most would consider purgatory hiding out. We had no way of knowing what Sang had planned, and with Callie only weeks away from her due date, none of us wanted to take any chances.

"You okay, Gabe?" Victor asked. I noticed Gabe was pacing and restless. He'd been that way since we arrived.

When he looked up, his eyes were red. "Something's coming," he said nervously. "Are we sure they can't get in here?"

Sam nodded, "We've added layers of protection spells, Gabe. Nothing is getting through that barrier."

"What if he can trick it with the bond?" Luke asked. Damn, I hadn't considered that.

"If he's under Sang's command, then the bond won't work," Lilith said as she came in with a miserable-looking Callie. She hadn't slept much and dark circles had started to show under her eyes.

Axel stood up and led her to a chair. He tried to have her sit on his lap, but she protested, "I'll squish you. I'm the size of a beached whale," she cried.

"Aww, sweetie, you are not," I replied, "You look beautiful." She scowled at me and I winced.

"Liar. You try belching smoke when your daughter gets the hiccups." I fought the urge to laugh. I know it was wrong, but she had looked absolutely adorable the few times it had happened.

"But you make a cute dragon, Callie," I teased. She threw a pillow at me and growled.

"Fuck," she groaned and grabbed her stomach. "Oh, no."