Chapter 43

Multiple POVs

Callie's POV

My head slammed into the fireplace making my vision dance with dark spots. I could make out Nathan and Hades battling just before my focus turned to Hecate. I ducked as a spell whizzed past my head and caused the mantle to shatter. Her magic was powerful and dark as she launched spell after spell toward me.

"Why are you resisting?" she demanded. "You know your own cycle, you are destined to carry a child of great power then to die. Play your part."

I howled, "And you are meant to stay in the dark, witch! Play your own damn part. Not to mention, you are betraying your sister witch, Selene by attacking me."

Hecate laughed, "That foolish girl. You are not her descendant. You are no one's descendant - a rogue goddess with no worshippers, no ancestry, no one will miss you."

I felt a burning in my soul as she spoke. Her words seared into me like those of Lisette's years ago - "No one will miss you."

Was she right? Where did I come from? Was my only real purpose to die? No. I shook my head, pushing aside my own doubts. Even if that was my fate, it wouldn't be Nathan's - not if I could help it.

A flash of silver came toward me as I shifted to the right, but not quickly enough. I cried out as a cold pain grazed along my arm, and I felt dizzy. I heard Nathan call out to me, then a grunt and strangled cry. Turning I saw Hades pull the blade from Nathan's side as he fell to the floor, blood pouring from the wound. "Nathan," I cried out, my voice sounding like it was far away. I swayed and felt hands catch me.

"Easy Calista, I'll be gentle," Hades breathed against my ear as he guided me toward a bed I just now realized was in the room.

My mind began to race, trying to recall the spells and potions Zero had gifted me. A moment of clarity overcame me as I found the counterspell and recited it in my mind. Within moments, the foggy feeling began to fade, but not completely. I allowed Hades to lay me on the bed, not wanting either of them to realize I wasn't fully incapacitated. Hecate came and placed her hand over my forehead and stomach. "Take her now," she told Hades, "She's ready."

Fight baby, don't let them win, I heard Nathan say in my mind.

I felt the bed sink as Hades came closer. "You really are quite exquisite, dear. Just let yourself relax and enjoy," he said as his hands ran down my body, tugging at my dress. Then he leaned closer and nipped at my ear, "When I'm done, I'm going to let Cerberus have your wolf. He was so looking forward to having a large family." He chuckled as he leaned back to remove his own clothing.

I felt both Kiyoko and Kait simmering beneath the surface wanting to strike. I began to laugh, getting louder by the second, and then felt Kiyoko harness my elemental magic as she wrapped Hades in flames. "You will never touch any of us," she growled. The god levitated in the air, writhing in pain as she flung him into the wall, shattering it. The opening revealed the hall of the dead and in its center, the eternal well. With a flick of my hand, Hades now hovered over the well. "I'm sure Persephone will fish you out when she returns in a few months. Until then, think about your decisions and the company you keep Hades. Do not come near my family again!" With that, I released him and he plunged into the well as souls began to pull him further and further down.

Good girl, Nathan's faint voice came to me. I looked over to see him growing paler.

Hold on my love, I begged him as he gave me a weak smile. My focus now turned to the very panicked goddess before me. My lips curled up in a sneer as I slowly walked closer to her, waving my hand over my body as a gown now covered me. I could feel the powers of each of my mates coursing through me, their love pulsing through my mind and soul. Axel was right, I wasn't alone - not anymore.

"I think it's time we had a little chat, Hecate," I said as she tried to dart for the door.

Nate's POV

"I think it's time we had a little chat, Hecate," Callie said as Hecate tried to reach the door.

"You aren't going anywhere, Hecate," Callie's voice bounced off the walls making them shake. Her entire body was engulfed in an almost blinding light. Her hair floated in the air that swirled around her as she stalked closer to the terrified Hecate. "You have hurt those I love and sought to control me. Are you starting to see the error of your ways, my dear?" she taunted, her eyes turning almost completely black as she spoke. "I am eternal, Hecate. I am beyond your simple pantheon, your simple schemes. I am without beginning and end."

Hecate fell to the floor before her, mouth gaping as her chest rose and fell rapidly, "Please," she begged.

"Save your pleas, witch. I am not merciful," Callie's voice was hollow as she placed her hand on Hecate's head. "Return to your darkness, to your crossroads. Seek forgiveness for your deceit and trespass. Stay out of my world and the lives of my charges, Hecate. If our paths cross again, I will erase you from all time." The goddess screamed out in pain as Callie's hand began to light with flames that seemed to seep into Hecate's body and finally engulfed her eyes. Then the woman vanished and the light around Callie receded.

She rushed toward me, "Nathan, are you okay?"

I just stared at her in awe for a moment. Then I said, my voice cracking as I tried to draw in a deep breath, "You're a fucking badass!"

She laughed, "And you're a reckless idiot, but you're mine." I winced as I tried to lean up and kiss her. "Stop, you'll hurt yourself," she scolded me.

"Oh shut up and kiss me, woman," I groaned, "I'm dying here."

She glared at me playfully, then kissed me gently. I grunted as she pulled away, but she put a finger to my lips, "Hush," then she ran a claw over her neck making droplets of blood form. She pressed my head forward until my mouth reached the droplets. "Drink," she said softly. I tentatively closed my mouth over the blood and swallowed. The taste was indescribable, but I wanted more and began to suck hard. I grunted when I felt her fangs pierce my neck and lifted my arm to pull her body closer to me. My love - she spoke in my mind.

My heart and soul, I replied as we continued to drink from one another. I felt all the injuries from Hades begin to fade. As we pulled back, my lips met hers. It was like I was lost in her. She was the air I needed to breathe, the water I needed to drink.

Her eyes were vibrant as our kiss ended and she pressed her forehead to mine. "Let's go home," she whispered and I nodded my agreement. Her arms tightened around me as fire enveloped our bodies. It was as if a halo of flames shot out around us and when they vanished, we were on the floor in the cabin with everyone staring at us in surprise.

Author's Notes:  They're baaaaccckkkk!!!!