Chapter 41

Multiple POVs

Victor's POV

We were all in the front room when Sam blipped out, reappearing a few moments later with a shocked look on his face. "I...I saw something from one of her past lives. I think it was Tir Na Nog.  She was heavily pregnant, then killed on the battlefield."

"Well that seems to fit the pattern," I said.

"But then she spoke to me. Not the Callie from then, but the one from now. She said, "I am meant to be here, just as I was meant to be there, servant of Hecate. The wheel has stopped only to resume when the path is set." Then she told me to complete my task. But what task is she talking about?" Sam asked in confusion.

"The one where you go and give her all of Hecate's fucking dirty details," Gabe said as he suddenly appeared in the room. "She has my gift of foresight now, but she needs you to tell her what I don't fucking know and anything that might be helpful. She only has a few minutes before Cerberus reaches her. Please Sam, you fucking owe her this," Gabe begged. Sam's eyes flared and he vanished again.

Marc chuckled, "In the fucking Underworld really?" as he pointed to Gabe's neck.

"Shut the fuck up, fireboy," Gabe huffed, "I seem to remember you and her getting plenty fucking busy in Elatha's realm. My eyes are forever scarred with the image of your fucking naked ass."

"So who hasn't she bonded with now?" Brandon asked.

I raised my hand along with Nate and Kota.

"Well thank you for that helpful piece of information," a feminine voice said from the doorway. "That makes my choices so much easier."

"Shit," Gabe muttered. "Hecate. What are you doing here?"

"Ohh, the guide," she commented, eyes glimmering. "I can't wait for you to cross over. Sam chose his apprentice well." We all looked in confusion at the two of them. What did she mean by an apprentice? She laughed, "How sweet, they don't know. You're little guide here sold his soul to find the love of his life in the Underworld. Too bad she never went there, but no matter, you'll still be a rather talented crossroads demon when your time comes."

"You're fucking wrong, you know," Gabe snarled. "I did find the love of my life in the Underworld. I just didn't realize it was Calista when I made the deal."

"How touching," Hecate replied with a false smile. "Now, hate to break up this little family party, but I need some leverage and you three will do nicely." She pointed at Kota, Nate, and me, then snapped her fingers and the room vanished.

"What the hell?" Nate grunted as he strained against the thick cords that held us to chairs.

"Well that's not entirely accurate," a male voice said. Suddenly a fire came to life in the gigantic fireplace before us. Flickers of light illuminated the room as Hecate and a man who I assumed was Hades came into view. "I suppose some consider this hell, but the Underworld would really be more accurate, Nathan."

"How the fuck do you know my name?" Nate growled at him.

Hades laughed, "I know the name of every soul that will come here eventually. Now gentlemen, do be patient. We mean you no harm, we just need a way to convince Calista to accept her role, and what better way than to have leverage." He sneered with satisfaction.

"Why pick the three she hasn't bonded with?" Kota asked. "She has no connection to any of us. We can't lure her here or even connect with her."

"Precisely," Hecate smiled, "She will never suspect it. And when she comes to save you, we will have the upper hand. She can't mindlink with any of you to trick her way out. If she or you try anything, you all three die. Perfect strategy really."

The room grew darker as Hades and Hecate moved across the space to talk out of our hearing. "So what do we do now?" I asked. "We can't let her sacrifice herself for us like she did Owen and Axel."

"I'm not sure we could stop her," Nate replied. "She won't let us get hurt if she can help it."

"Yeah, I think Nate's right," Kota added. "Can we convince her to use her powers somehow?"

"I don't know, but we can try," I said. I stiffened as I felt a shift in the air. My eyes drifted toward the doorway, but nothing was there.

"Seems we have a guest.  Might as well make yourself visible, Calista." Hecate said, stepping out of the shadows and moving toward my side. Grabbing my face, she dragged a blade against my cheek. "The blade is poisoned, dear girl. Show yourself or I'll make sure to break the skin on my next stroke." I focused my attention on a slight shift in the light next to the mantle and suddenly saw her shadowed figure.

"Don't do it, Callie," I grunted. Knowing that somehow I could see her, she mouthed, I'm sorry, then made herself visible.

Callie's POV

"Ahh, the blessed one," Hades drawled, his voice almost hypnotic as I blinked. Think of him as a chess game - Owen's words rang in my mind. I needed to be vigilant. Every word he speaks, every move he makes is part of his plan. "Welcome, we've been waiting for you."

"Why are they here?" I demanded.

"Just a little reassurance in case you defeated Cerberus, dear," Hecate sneered, "How did such a little thing like yourself manage to defeat such a beast, I wonder?" Warning bells started going off in my mind as I watched her move from Victor to Kota. "What little tricks have you gained, Calista? It seems your bonds are more than we anticipated."

Hecate's hands circled Kota's neck firmly. "Don't touch him," I warned softly.

The goddess laughed, "Oh dear, you are so far out of your league." Her grip tightened, and I saw Kota tense as his air supply began to be cut off.

Keep hold of the chairs - I told them, hoping my powers would connect the link. Nate's sudden grip on the arm of the chair confirmed they had heard me. Using what Brandon and Corey had shown me, I pushed a cyclone of wind toward both of them, sending the guys toppling over in their chairs. I kept my eyes on Hades and Hecate but heard a faint cracking sound from one of the chairs. "I think I've advanced far more than you realize," I shouted above the wind. I continued to push them back until I saw Nate quickly untying them. He and Victor helped drag an injured Kota toward the door.

"Callie, come on!" Victor yelled.

I gave a quick glance over my shoulder and shook my head. "I can't. This has to end."

"Then we aren't leaving," Nate argued.

"You have to. Kota can't fight. He needs you to keep him safe." He started to argue, but only sighed, knowing I was right. "I'll be home soon," I said, and shifting my left hand toward them, I focused on the cabin and opened a portal.

They stepped closer, then Nate shoved Kota to Victor, "Get him to Sean." He stepped back into the room with me just as the portal sealed.

"Why did you do that?" I yelled, trying to keep my focus on the wind.

He came up and took my left hand, "Where you are, I am - now and always, my stubborn mate." He lifted my arm and sank his canines in. I cried out as his connection slammed into me along with a lifetime of strategic battle planning and combat skills. When his blue eyes met mine, he grinned. "Ready?"

"Always," I grinned.  

Author's Notes:  Gotta love stubborn and pissed-off Nate...