Chapter 49

Brandon's POV

"Do you two have to share everything," our mother said, rolling her eyes. "I mean, how will we explain this to the council?"

"Mother, it isn't uncommon for elves to share mates," Corey pointed out.

"Well it is for high elves, Rillen," she snapped. "And you, what do you think of all this Soir?

"I think Rillen's right. This is what the goddess wants for us, so who are we to object?" I replied. Disgust filled her eyes.

"Fine. You will present her at this evening's council meeting. But I warn you both now, the council has the final say - goddess or not," she spat, then hurried from the room.

"Well that could have gone better," I muttered.

Rillen chuckled, "Actually, for Mother, that was fairly tame. I expected at least a few broken dishes." I laughed, but he was right, it was fairly low-key for our mother. I'm not sure if I was relieved or even more nervous now.

He slapped my shoulder, "Let's go get Tavi and tell her the good news," he grinned.

She was in her garden, covered in dirt and flowers when we arrived. She had a love of all things green and could tell you all about any plant or weed for a hundred miles. Her eyes lit up when she saw us. She jumped up, brushed off her dress, and called out, "Rillen, Soir, I wasn't expecting you!"

I picked her up, spun her around, and kissed her deeply. "Mmm, you taste like berries, my love," I said, swiping at her lips with my tongue.

She giggled as Rillen took her from me, "Here, I think I need to confirm that," he joked as he kissed and tasted her lips. "Hmm, no, I definitely taste sweetcakes. Should we taste her again just to be sure?"

Her cheeks flushed as she playfully protested, "Stop you two." I love the way she was so innocent. "So...did you speak with your mother?" she asked hesitantly. We both knew she was worried. Tavi wasn't a highborn elf. She didn't even have any living family left, but she was well respected as a skilled herbalist and healer in the community. Elves and even humans would come from hundreds of miles to seek her skills.

Rillen took her hands and smiled, "She wants us to present you to the council."

She gasped, "Oh my goddess! When?"

"Um, tonight," I said. Her eyes went wide and her face paled as she looked down at her dress. "Tavi, just relax. We'll help get you ready, just tell us where to start."

****

A few hours later, the three of us stood outside the council doors, hand in hand. The herald pushed the doors open and announced us. "Honorable Council members I present Rillen and Soir from the house of Avendar, and their chosen, Lady Tavi, Healer." A murmur went up from the gallery and several of the council members looked surprised. I caught my mother's eyes momentarily and saw the hateful look. She had set us up.

"Rillen and Soir, we were not expecting you," Council member Paran said. "Much less an announcement of pairing."

"Our apologies, Member Paran. We were led to believe that our Mother had notified the Council of our appearance." He gave me a knowing look. Our mother was famous for these types of stunts. "May we present nonetheless?"

The man looked to his fellow council mates and nodded, "Proceed."

We squeezed Tavi's hand and each spoke. "We have come before the Council to announce that the goddess has made known our thiramin," Rillen stated. A flurry of whispers went up. Thiramin were sacred and to claim finding one was a risk.