Chapter 3

Callie's POV

I sensed him the moment his car pulled up outside. His aura was strong and his scent filled my nose. It was an earthy smell mixed with a pungent tang like that of patchouli. If he were a full-blood, he would be irresistible. I moved to the window and smiled when I saw him catch my movements. I laid down in the bed and closed my eyes as sleep overtook me finally.

****

"Looks like we got us a pretty one this time, boys." The sound of ripping fabric filled my ears as his hands began to roam across my now bare skin. I tugged at the restraints, trying to lower my arms. A shooting pain flooded my side and my skin began to feel like it was on fire. "Shh, be a good little slut now, no fighting." His finger dragged across my lips, then something slid between them as I tried to turn away from the gag. I felt his fingers dig into my thighs as he pulled my legs apart and then slammed his cock into me. The fire on my skin spread and I cried behind the gag, praying for death as he raped me. When he finished, I thought I was finally safe, only to feel another body cover mine and begin assaulting me again.

I lost track of the days. Lost track of the times my body was used. Lost track of the number of men who defiled me.

I bolted upright in the bed, just as I had the night before, but this time, I wasn't alone. My eyes locked on to two piercing green eyes and I froze. "Wh..what are you doing?" I stammered.

"You were screaming. When I made it inside, I realized you were dreaming and I, um, I accidentally saw," he said, lowering his gaze.

"Saw?"

"That's my gift," he explained. "I can see into minds - awake or asleep. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to snoop, I just touched your shoulder to try and wake you and it happened. Then, I couldn't let go, like I was sucked into your dream or something. I...I've never felt anything like it before."

"Mr. Toma," I started.

"Axel. Please, call me Axel."

"Okay, Axel, can you tell me what exactly you saw?" I asked, pushing myself upright on the bed. He had leaned back and was sitting on the edge of my bed. His face paled. That was all the answer I needed. "Nevermind," I said quickly.

We sat in silence for a few moments, neither of us moving. "Do you run?" I asked him.

"Huh, what?" He asked with a confused expression.

"Running, jogging, exercise," I repeated, "Do you like to run?"

"Yeah, I actually run every morning when I'm not on a job," Axel answered. "Why?"

"Well, when I have nightmares and can't get back to sleep, I go running. I thought you might like to join me." He blinked a few times as if making sure he'd heard me correctly.

"Um, yeah, sure. Let me grab my go bag out of the car. I'm sure I have some sweats in there." He headed toward my still-locked door.

"Axel, just how did you get into my apartment?" I asked curiously.

He gave me a devilish grin. "That's my secret, Callie."

Ten minutes later we were jogging along in companionable silence when we turned the corner and saw the glow of Sam's place. "Ahh, the coffee gods are calling," I groaned.

He gave me a smirk and said, "Don't let Marc hear you say that. The man is slightly obsessed with coffee and is convinced that his is the best in the world."

"Hmm, if he's going to make those kinds of claims, then he better bring proof," I teased as he opened the diner door for me.

"Well look what the cat dragged in," Sam called from behind the counter. "Callie girl, you seem to have picked up a stray." He gave Axel a good-natured smirk.