Chapter 8

Owen's POV

I read the patrol report again then rested my head in my hands. For ten weeks we'd been dealing with rogues. It had been almost twenty years since the last major attacks. Twenty years since we lost her. I'd nearly lost my mind, when rogues had attacked that night, killing Sang and our young son, along with several others from the community. As alphas, we had to keep going, to protect the pack, but it had taken a heavy toll on us all. A week later, they all seemed to vanish into thin air. No matter how hard we searched, we couldn't find anything.

Now, the same group is back, prowling around our borders. They'd attacked a family on the edge of the pack lands, kidnapping the female and killing her mate. We'd tracked them for almost a hundred miles before the scent trail just vanished. North, Silas, Nate, and Victor had been out on patrols since dawn, shoring up the pack land perimeters, while Sean and Phil had been finding housing for families that lived on the outer edges. The packhouse was practically bursting at the seams, and we had all come back to our old cabin. Of course, being here was hard for all of us. Everywhere we looked, we saw the ghost of Sang and our boy, Isaiah.

The sudden ringing of my phone snapped me out of my melancholy. "Hello," I said, probably snapping more than I should have.

"Owen? Sorry if I'm calling at a bad time," the voice of Axel Toma came across the line.

"Axel, sorry," I replied, "We've had some run-ins with rogues lately. I'm just a bit stressed. So what brings you to call me out of the blue?" We hadn't really spoken to the Toma family much in recent years. When our pack lands started to expand, it became a bit strained to have other supernaturals around. If he was reaching, then something had to be wrong.

"Well, I'm not sure I want to ask now if you are having your own troubles. I don't want to bring any more trouble to your door," he replied.

"Tell me what you need and then my family can make a decision," I countered.

"I've found my soulmate."

"Congratulations," I told him, "But that's not why you're calling. What's going on?"

"She's being hunted...by the same people who killed my mom and kidnapped her twenty years ago. They tracked both of us to Sam's diner. He said we need to find a place to mask our scents from the tracker demon tailing us." I could hear the fear in his voice. I know I'd feel the same way if it were Sang. "We need a place to lay low, Owen, all of us. I understand if you can't, but we would be happy to help guard your borders in exchange for shelter."

Having five skilled supernatural fighters would help keep my pack safe. "Let me speak with the others. I'll call you back in an hour," I told him.

"Thanks, Owen, it means a lot that you'd even consider the request," he said gratefully.

"You've always been a good friend, Axel. I'm sure we can figure something out. I'll call you soon." I ended the call and immediately mind-linked my brothers.

Owen: We have a sanctuary request from Axel Toma for his family and mate. A group of hunters is after Axel's mate. In exchange for a place to stay, they have offered to help with patrols. What are your thoughts, gentlemen?

North: When did Axel get a mate?

Owen: He didn't say. He indicated a tracker demon is hunting both of them. It followed their scents to Sam's. He suggested finding a place where their scents can be masked.

Sean: I say let them come. We could use the help.

Luke: I'm okay if they come.

Gabe: Do we know anything about the mate?

Owen: No, I didn't ask.

Kota: I agree with Sean, we need the help.

Silas: Let them come.

Nate: Where are we putting them? The packhouse is at capacity, and they can't stay in the outer cabins with the raids happening.

Victor: We could give them the lower level of the cabin. They'd have to share rooms, but it's better than sleeping outside.

Owen: North, can you and Raven play nice?

North: Yeah. I can tolerate him for Axel's mate. They would have done the same for us.

Owen: Alright, I'll notify the Toma Family and find out when to expect them.

Gabe: I'll get the rooms refreshed. Ask Axel if his mate has any specific needs I should be aware of. Wait, do we even know what she is?

Owen: Good question. I didn't ask, but I will. Thank you, gentlemen. Be safe out there.

The conversation wrapped up quickly and I reached for the phone to let Axel know of our decision. He answered on the first ring. "Hey Owen, that was fast," he said.

I gave a half chuckle, "Yeah, mind-linking is fairly quick." He laughed in response. "We want to help. However, the packhouse is full due to the attacks. We've moved all the remote families in for the time being, and we've actually moved back to our cabin. Victor pointed out that the basement is like an apartment set up so you'd have privacy, just limited bedrooms. There are only 3. I realize that would cause Brandon and Marc to bunk together, but it's all we have right now."

"Owen, it's more than enough. We will make it work. Can we head that way tomorrow? The sooner I get her somewhere safe, the better I'll feel," he answered.

"I understand. Oh, Gabe did ask if she had any special needs or requests. We also wondered, not to be rude, but what kind of supernatural is she?" I didn't want to be offensive, but we probably should know.

Axel laughed, "She's a pureblood. As for special needs, I really don't know, um, this has been fairly sudden and recent. She's been living as a human for the last twenty years, so I doubt she has any requests."

"Alright then, well, we will see you tomorrow. Call when you reach the main entrance and I'll have someone escort you to the cabin. Everyone is a bit on edge since the attacks started," I explained and finished up the call.

"So what's the fucking deal?" Gabe asked as he threw himself into my office chair. "Does she need a special diet or any other weird fucking shit?"

I chuckled at his dramatic attitude. "No special requests. From what Axel indicated, their relationship is fairly new and sudden. He said she was pureblood but lives as a human."

"Wait a fucking minute, she's a pureblood - as in vampire, but doesn't drink blood? Who the fuck does that," he grumbled, rolling his eyes. "She can't be a newbie if she's motherfucking dry. Now, I'm wondering how the hell he met her."

Pinching the bridge of my nose I answered, "I'm sure we'll find out everything soon enough. Just make sure the rooms are set for two in each and stock the fridge, please. They'll be here tomorrow."

"Sounds good O-man," he said, pushing himself up from the chair and heading out of the study.

I turned to look out at the woods behind the cabin. I couldn't ignore the sting of jealousy in my heart that Axel had found his mate. I know I shouldn't be jealous, we had a beautiful life with Sang even though it was cut short. Had it not been for our mutual bonds, the loss surely would have killed all of us. Kota had been the hardest hit, losing both Sang and his firstborn. With a final glance at the tree line, I turned back to my paperwork.

Author's Notes:  Thoughts or feelings about the Blackbourne guys being the alphas of a werewolf pack?