Chapter 52

Nate's POV

"Something is wrong," Cailleach said frantically as she knelt next to Callie who was clenching her stomach and writhing on the ground. "We started to move to the next incarnation and she just collapsed."

I dropped to my knees and pulled her against me, nuzzling her neck as I spoke. "Let me in my heart and soul, do not walk this path alone." I felt her breathing begin to level and then the room seemed to tilt as I found myself standing in a lavish garden next to her. I took her hand. "Where are we beautiful," I asked gently.

"Lyonesse, 1628. I just got married," she replied flatly.

We watched as a young man with ruddy cheeks and brown hair stormed into the garden with a flustered young Callie chasing behind him. "How can you be so naive?" the man shouted. "You are my wife and will do as I command, do you understand that Calista?" I watched as she cowered at his words, simply nodding. He grabbed her arm, pulling her until their noses almost touched. "You are my wife, and therefore my property. As a man, I can have whatever lovers I wish. Your purpose is to provide me with sons. Am I clear?"

"Y...yes, Andrew," she stuttered, "I won't breathe a word, I promise."

He patted her cheek and smirked, "Good girl. Now this evening I expect you to apologize to John as well." Her face blanched as she came to realize his meaning.

"Yes sir," she whispered, her head hanging. Andrew walked away and Callie fell to the grass below quietly crying.

I gave her hand a tug, "Why did you bring us here, Callie?"

"I'm not sure."

I pulled her closer and led her away from her former self. We found a small bench and I sat, pulling her onto my lap. After a short while a rustling sound drew our attention. Much to our surprise, Sang came into view talking animatedly to a bald man. "I knew your master would be intrigued," Sang commented. "While I do not know of her origins, the girl is clearly marked. I know Thaddeus is quite the collector, and I'm sure her husband can easily be taken care of."

"Have you seen her mark?" the man asked. "I mean are you certain, Guivera, or is this just rumor?"

Sang, or rather Guivera, became agitated. "If you do not believe me, then let me prove it." They both stormed off in the direction where Callista from the past had been crying earlier. Callie and I both quickly followed.

"Who are you?" Calista asked, her swollen eyes looking up at the two.

Guivera smirked, "Not to worry, Princess Rose. Just close your eyes and take a nap. You will feel much better and even be completely compliant for your husband and his lover when you awake. You won't remember either of us." I could see Calista's eyes dilate and then constrict as the compulsion made her obey.

"Was she already a vampire?" Callie whispered to me in confusion.

"No, that isn't Sang. I think this is one of her former lives. What I don't get is why she keeps showing up in your timelines," I replied. We continued to watch as the two pulled her dress back so that the bald man could clearly see her fleur de lis marking.

"See, I told you she was blessed. Thaddeus needs to be told immediately," Guivera told the man, who agreed vigorously. They walked off and shortly after Calista woke up, with no recollection of the events.

Callie shivered, "I remember that night. When I married, I had no idea of sexuality, and discovering my husband was bisexual frightened me. I panicked when I caught Andrew with his lover, John. But that night, well now I understand why I was so curious, so eager almost. Ironically, I'm sure she thought she was doing something horrible by telling me to be compliant, but it was the best thing really. Despite being married to me, Andrew loved John deeply, but back then both would have been executed immediately. Instead, we had a wonderful poly relationship behind closed doors. We had even decided that if I became pregnant it wouldn't matter who the father was, but that never happened."

She looked up at me, "Wait, how are you here?"

I shrugged. "No idea. I felt like you were hurting and I got pulled in. When I found you collapsed, I tried to talk to you and ended up in your memory."

She frowned and then we both swayed as the scene changed yet again. We stood on the deck of a ship now, our clothing changed into rough woolen tunics. I pressed our foreheads together smiling, "Nerthus."

She grinned at me in return, "Njörðr." It was odd as if I knew who we really were, but she seemed to have completely forgotten. My eyes traveled to her slightly bulging stomach.

"Any sickness?" I asked her as the waves pitched us around.

"I'm married to the god of the sea, dear. I think I'll survive." She gave me a mischievous grin, "Besides, I'm fairly certain this little bundle was conceived at sea, so they don't mind." I chuckled as I held her close. The scent of the ocean spray filled my senses. As the sun began to set, we spread out our bundles on the deck and settled in for the night. The steady chants of the oarsmen lulled us both to sleep.

"Njörðr," I heard a soft voice calling to me. I opened my eyes to see the silhouette of a woman near the prow of the ship. Even though she faced away from me, I knew she was the one saying my name. It was as if I were entranced as I moved toward her.

Glancing back, I realized Nerthus was no longer lying on the deck. Perhaps it was she who was calling. "My love?" I cried out.

"Njörðr, come to me. I need you," the voice said again as I pushed closer to the figure. When I reached out her face was hidden behind a dark veil, but she fell into my body, wrapping her arms around me. My mind felt clouded as this creature clung to me. My body craved her touch. "Kiss me," she whispered as our mouths met.

A thousand knives seemed to pierce my body and soul as I tried to pull away, only now realizing my horrible mistake.

"Njörðr?" Nerthus's shocked voice spoke as I finally pulled away from the mysterious woman.

"Nerthus, please, let me explain," I begged as she began to move backward. Everything seemed to happen so fast. A sudden wave rocked the ship and I saw her fall backward, a look of absolute terror passing over her face just seconds before she fell overboard. "Nerthus!" I roared and dove into the waters.

I searched and searched, but found nothing - not even a scrap of her clothing. When I finally came back aboard the ship a faint voice came to my ears that made my blood run cold.

"See you soon, honey."

"No!" I yelled as I bolted upright, once again in the living room with the others.

"Is she okay?" Axel demanded, his voice laced with fear.

I shook my head, "No. We're getting close and so is Sang." I recounted our experience and watched as both Corey and Victor charted the information.

Looking at their work, it all pointed to the fact that somehow, Sang and Callie's lives were intertwined long before now. It also seemed to be that the further back we went, the more power Callie once had. I had to wonder just how powerful she was in her true form, and would she even be our Callie then, or someone - something else entirely?

Author's Notes:  Any thoughts or theories yet, my lovelies?