Chapter 48

Multiple POVs

Owen's POV

"Gareth! Gareth, I need help with the milking, please," I heard her sweet voice call to me. I sat up from the straw bed and stretched. Pulling on my clothes, I headed to the barn. She stood with a stubborn expression on her face as she tried to figure out how to lift the pails of milk with her swollen belly. "I'll be glad when I can see my feet again," she muttered, bending one way, then the other.

I chuckled to myself as I came and grabbed the buckets, "Once you can see your feet again my love, you'll have a child running under them." I gave her a quick kiss and grinned, "Of course, my sexy wife, I'll just fill your belly again. You may never see your feet again."

She gave a gasp and slapped my arm, "You cheeky man, off with you!" I laughed again as I hauled the milk to the underground storehouse to keep cool. She grabbed a basket and headed toward the hens.

I was humming to myself as I checked out stores. We were well set for the upcoming winter. I knew it would be difficult with a newborn, but if we rationed well, then we should make it through just fine. Resa's sharp cry had me bolting toward the barn. "Resa! Where are you?" I hollered. I froze when I saw the men.

"Gareth, we don't want no trouble, but the time has come. We need to make sure the village is well cared for and it's your wife's turn," the tallest man said.

"Get the hell away from her, Willem," I snarled. "You are not taking my wife and future child anywhere." I was so focused on her, that I didn't notice the ones behind me and felt a sharp slap to the back of my head as I fell forward.

****

"Gareth, please wake up," she cried. My eyes were blurred as I tried to open them. Her tear-stained face was next to mine. I tried to hold her, only to realize we were both bound. "I'm scared, Gareth," she whimpered.

I turned my head to see the pyre below us. It looked like the village had decided to sacrifice us both. I leaned my head towards hers as she did the same until our heads barely touched. "I love you, Resa. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you in this life, but I promise I will find you again, my sweet wife." She sobbed and then gasped as the men came closer.

"You know the laws, Gareth," Willem said in a solemn voice.

"Aye. I ask you to kill us at the same time. Don't make either of us watch the other die alone." He nodded his head as a second man came up to her. They placed the scythes on our necks as Resa squealed in fear. "Look at me, love." She did as I asked. "Don't look away, baby, just keep your eyes on me."

"I love you, Gareth," she whispered, then her eyes went wide as they drew the blades across our necks. The life in her eyes faded before mine did.

Like I'd been sucked into a tunnel, I felt myself move back still looking at us. "Owen," she said, placing her hand in mine.

I pulled her to me, " Callie, my love," I said, pressing kisses to her face. "I'm so sorry I failed you."

"You didn't. You stayed with me, and you found me again." Her soft smile made my heart soar. She turned toward Cailleach, "I thought you said I was a goddess, but twice now, I've been mortal. Just a human caught in bizarre circumstances."

The old woman nodded, "I know. But you are a goddess, Calista. Something or someone seems to have corrupted your true nature as if they've trapped you in a mortal loop of horrific deaths. We have to follow all of them, to find the beginnings. I know it is with your first bond, but I don't know how it started. As I said before, you are older than even I am."