Chapter 23

Callie's POV

I jolted awake as the vehicle hit a pothole, tossing me in my seatbelt. It was almost a relief to wake from my dreams. All I could see were Marc's beautiful eyes as he said he loved me. Then I watched flames engulf him again and again as I felt my soul being shredded. My hand went to his mark as I tried to suppress my tears. Slowly, I became aware of my surroundings as I heard low mumbling and looked across to see Sarah nestled into the lap of a large demon. I listened closely, noticing her heart rate was calm as his arms wrapped around her, almost gently. "Are you done eavesdropping, vampire?" the creature asked.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. I was making sure she was safe," I corrected him.

He glared at me. "She's safer now than she's ever been." I noticed he kept her pressed tightly against him. Sarah's small hand gripped his arm.

"Sarah? Can you hear me?" I ignored the grunts of the demon and asked again, "Sarah, can you answer me?"

She turned her head in my direction and our eyes met. I gasped when I saw the swirls of black in her eyes. She blinked slowly, then spoke, "I can hear you, Ms. Rose."

I glared at him, "What did you do to her?"

He pulled her hair back to reveal a large bite mark on her neck. "I marked what is mine," he grinned. "I will keep her safe." He kissed the top of her head and she gave a soft smile.

"You bastard," I hissed, "She's human, how dare you?"

He growled, "She's mine - human or not!" He nuzzled her neck and she gave a soft moan as she leaned into his touch.

I clenched my teeth and tried to stay calm, "Did you mark her against her will?"

It was Sarah that answered me to my surprise, "No. I admit I was scared, but the moment he touched me, I felt safe. I know I don't understand all of this, and I know you've kept things from me to keep me safe over the years, but I've never been as naive as you thought." I started to say something, but she cut me off. "He won't hurt me, Callie. I want this, I want him."

The demon made a purring sound at her declaration and pulled her tightly against him, making her straddle his lap. Her squeal of surprise seemed to spur him on and his purring turned to a lust-filled growl. I averted my gaze when I heard the ripping of fabric and realized what they were about to do despite my presence. "Sleep vampire," the demon growled, his magic enveloping me, and I felt myself becoming tired. My eyelids drooped as I heard Sarah's moans of pleasure, then sleep overtook me.

****

"Wake up," a male voice said as I felt a sting on my cheek. I struggled to open my eyes, and another slap warmed my face. I heard growls in the background and guessed that Raven and North must be in the room as well. "Shut the hell up, you stupid animals," the man cursed.

"Who the fuck are you calling stupid?" I sassed as I looked around the room.

He was scruffy looking with dirty blonde hair and dark eyes. His face was riddled with scars and when he gave me a sadistic grin, his yellowed teeth showed. "Ahh, there you are, Princess. I was beginning to think the demon was tricking us. Can't trust those bastards, you know," he chuckled. "Now, let's get you ready. Mistress will be here shortly." His eyes gleamed as he placed a band around my arm and started searching for a vein. I tried to pull against the restraints but found them too thick and magically reinforced. When he sank the plunger in, I felt the vervain first and cried out in pain. However, the ecstasy soon followed, flooding my body with need. Warmth flooded my core, reminding me of the heat spell, and I whimpered.

The man patted my head and leaned into my ear, his voice rasping, "A few more days of this, and you'll try to hump the bed, Princess. That's when the real fun will start."

I tried to protest but only whimpered more as he connected a fluid bag to the IV line he'd just inserted. My head lolled to the side as I caught sight of Raven and North. They were also strapped to beds with IV lines in their arms. "Будь сильным, мой маленький вампир. (Stay strong, my little vampire.)" Raven said as he continued to strain.

"Versuche dagegen anzukämpfen, Callie. Die anderen werden kommen, (Try to fight it, Callie. The others will come,)" North said, trying to encourage me, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Don't waste your time, NorthStar," a blonde woman said as she entered the room. "By the time they arrive, it will be far too late."

I saw North cringe as tears sprang to his eyes. "S...Sang?" His tone confirmed what I'd seen in my visions. She was very much alive and not who they once thought her to be. I fought to stay alert, watching her interactions with North. "Why baby, why are you doing this?"

Her eyes were flat as she came to his side. "Oh North, you never did understand. All those years you and the others kept me wrapped in cotton, shielding me from the world. Never once did you consider I didn't want to spend my life on pack lands being a damn bitch in heat all the time." I saw her claws start to extend as she ran them over his skin. Tiny droplets came to the surface as he winced. "Poor Sang, fragile Sang, broken Sang...blah, blah, blah," she drolled in a frustrated tone. Leaning down close to his lips, she hissed, "I'm not fragile anymore, NorthStar." She crashed her mouth against his as her claws dug into his skin.

He let out a muffled cry and I cried out, "Leave him alone, you bitch! Wasn't it enough to break his heart all those years ago?"

Just as I hoped, she focused her attention on me, leaving him alone. "Ahh, the very woman who started all this drama," Sang snapped, coming closer to my bed. She gripped my chin, "Mistress has been so looking forward to this," she grinned.

"Must be fun being Lisette's personal bitch," I hissed. "Do you warm her bed as well?"

She slapped my face then dug her nails into my cheeks, "I'd watch that little tongue if I were you, Princess. I'd be more than happy to have our witches remove it for you." I heard North and Raven swearing at her and demanding she leave me alone. She smirked and lowered her face to mine as she whispered, "Seems you have very devoted fans. I'll enjoy watching them tear you apart in a few days."

"Keep dreaming, bitch."

She laughed and ran her tongue across my neck, then twisted my head so that I could see them clearly. "See those IV lines? While you're getting a feel-good dose, those two are getting a bit more. Within a few days, they won't remember who they are or who you are other than a bitch in heat." I squirmed, trying to keep my fears hidden, but she could smell it and laughed again.

Something strange happened at that moment. It was as if I could see her memories - I could see her opening the door for Lisette that night, and then...then... I glared at her, "What could she possibly offer you that would make you betray your mates? You disgust me."

"Don't you judge me! You have no idea what I've been through, what I've had to do," she roared. Her eyes turned blood red as she continued to rant, "Isaiah wasn't supposed to get hurt, I couldn't...I didn't..." She screamed and sank her fangs into my neck. I tried to tear her away as she began to drain me. Tendrils of fire spread throughout me as I heard her voice in my mind - They won't save you, I'll make sure of it.

The last thing I heard was the sound of Raven calling out my name as darkness overtook me.

Author's Notes:  ...

Did you really think I'd deal with Marc's little cliffhanger so quickly?  *bats eyelashes innocently*  The ride is just getting started my lovelies - time to go down the rabbit hole!

Remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!