Chapter 13

Multiple POVs

Sean's POV

I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I felt so guilty like I was betraying Sang's memory somehow. I noticed Owen and Victor seemed to be struggling as well, while the others seemed to have no hesitation. North was a wildcard. He didn't seem to be upset, but not all in either. Her eyes grew heavy as Silas continued to stroke her back. Axel hovered nearby, his fingers intertwined with hers. Before long she had fallen asleep. Silas gently placed her in Axel's waiting arms, placing a kiss on her head.

"What are we doing?" I asked once he had descended the stairs with her.

"What do you mean?" Kota asked.

"Her - Callie," I sputtered, "Are we really just going to try and replace Sang?"

"No one is replacing Sang," Owen growled, his eyes flashing.

"She isn't a fucking replacement, Sean," Gabe growled, "That isn't even possible, but why can't you of all fucking people consider the possibility that the goddess has given us all a second chance. Surely she didn't want us to spend the next several hundred years alone and motherfucking suffering?"

My mouth gaped. I hadn't even thought of it that way. "I...I guess the way you all keep fawning over her, well, it was just too familiar. It felt like you were trying to treat her like Sang."

Luke shook his head, "Sang can't be replaced, and for me, it doesn't feel the same. I'm drawn to Callie, but with Sang, it was an instant connection - never uncomfortable. That isn't the case this time. I can smell her hesitation. She feels a pull to us, but not the same way as Sang." He placed his hand on my shoulder, "We need to follow the same advice Nate gave her. Take it slow. Get to know each other, then see what the goddess has in store for each of us. We aren't kids this time, Sean. We all suffered Sang's loss and are equally afraid of feeling that pain again."

I nodded, still uncertain, but less angry. "I understand how you feel," Brandon said after a few minutes. "When they first told us they were soulmates, I was furious and scared she was going to take Axel away from us. I yelled and said some horrible things, but the truth was, I felt terrified." He looked at me, "I knew I was drawn to her from the moment I laid eyes on her, then to find out she was his - it was like a knife twisting in my gut. How could that be fair? Now, seeing her connect with some of you so quickly when I knew her first, well, I fully admit it stings. Silas and some of the others seem to be getting a second chance when I haven't even gotten a first one."

His unfiltered honesty shook the room into complete silence. I could see the hurt in his eyes as he turned and walked out. Corey took out after him a few moments later.

Before anyone else could speak, the perimeter alarms began to wail.

"Sean to the packhouse. The rest divide and find a group to patrol with. Be careful out there," Owen barked orders as he headed toward the south side of the boundary.

I glanced toward the stairs. Marc noticed and nodded, heading down to warn Axel and Callie.

Brandon's POV

Corey had just caught up to me when we heard the alarms. Bright lights flooded parts of the area. "What the fuck is that," I breathed as we both saw a creature - much larger than a wolf, moving toward the Blackbourne packhouse. We could hear wolves howling all around and assumed the rogues had to be back, but what was this thing before us?

"I notified Raven," Corey whispered. "Can we even take that thing?" I shrugged my shoulders. Inching closer, we continued to watch the creature. It was sniffing along one of the packhouse walls, then grunted. It brought a large clawed hand up and began to carve something into the wall. "That doesn't look good, Bran, we have to do something," Corey said, his hands beginning to glow with blue wisps.

"Agreed. On three," I replied. We tapped out a count and then aimed a blast of magic at the creature, sending waves of ice toward it. When the magic made an impact on his skin, the creature howled in rage and spun around on us.

"तदर्थं भवन्तः दास्यन्ति।," the creature roared in a language I didn't understand. It turned back to the carving and boomed, "कामः कामः उर्वरता," then he slammed his open palm against the carving as it lit up fiery red and began to glow. The glow pulsed, then shot out a wave of magic that knocked both of us on our asses.

"What the fuck was that?" I groaned as I tried to get up. The creature seemed to be laughing as he stalked closer to us. "Shit, Corey, get up!" I yelled and shot another blast of ice at the thing. It barely seemed to impact him. "Corey!" I screamed and looked over to see him not moving. The blast had sent him flying and to my horror, my brother had a large branch protruding from his chest as blood dripped to the ground rapidly. His breathing was labored and he was lying far too still for my comfort.

I frantically looked between the creature and my brother. I was helpless. Moving closer to Corey, I continued to blast the damned thing with everything I had, even launching it into the air with a surge of earth energy. That slowed it for a few moments, but soon it got up and continued toward us.

Sending a silent prayer up to the goddess, I combined everything I had and let it go full force. I knew my energy was fading as my vision began to darken. I heard an earth-shattering roar and knew Raven had arrived, then fell into the blackness.

Author's Notes:  The creature is speaking in Sanskrit:  You will pay for that.  Lust, desire, fertility

Gotta love a cliffhanger, my lovelies!  Please vote, comment, and follow!