Chapter 65

Multiple POVs

The Curse

Zilla/Sang's POV

"Zilla, my child, I'm happy to help," Helen told me. "Just be careful. Incubus magic is a powerful thing. You must make an exchange. Have you thought of what you will offer him?"

My eyes searched the floor as I responded, "Zia."

Helen choked, "What was that dear?"

I looked at the old woman and gathered my courage. She knew my sister and I didn't get along. She was always the favorite, the center of attention, while I never seemed to measure up. "I'm offering the demon, Zia. You said incubus demons covet pure things. Well, according to the mystic, Zia is 'blessed'. She has this odd mark on her shoulder and everyone always fawns over her. I figured that would make the demon extra helpful. I mean he doesn't have to kill her, but he can have her purity."

The old woman looked at me with an odd expression. She held out her hand to me and I came to sit next to her. "Let me make sure I understand you, Zilla. You are in love with this man, but he has his heart set on Zia. You want me to teach you how to summon an incubus so the man will fall in love with you instead. As payment, you are sacrificing your sister's maidenhead to the demon." Helen's eyes seemed to glow when she explained my plan. I didn't hear a drop of disgust in her voice. I knew I could trust her.

"Yes, that's my plan. Do you think it will work?" I asked.

She tousled my hair and chuckled, "I believe it just might." I felt her hug me tightly and sighed. She was the only person I'd ever felt loved by. When our parents died unexpectedly, we lost all hopes of finding a good marriage. What we didn't realize was our parents died with a large amount of debt that was passed on to us. Zia and I were both forced into labor to pay those debts off and any hope of a place to live. We had become house slaves in a baron's home. Zia's unusual looks drew the attention of the baron and his wife. They quickly removed her from kitchen work and placed her with the children. Meanwhile, I was stuck washing and cleaning up after them. I think that's when I first began to hate her. She was getting a soft bed and extra food while I slept on a straw mat and ate moldy bread. She'd sneak things to me, but not often, and even then she was quick to leave.

"Now, we need to make sure everything is in order. When is Cadmus meeting Zia next?" the old woman asked.

I grinned, "On the full moon."

Helen let out a peal of laughter as she clutched my shoulders, "Oh my! Zilla, you were born to be a witch. I couldn't be prouder if you were my own daughter," she beamed. I felt my heart swell at her words. This was going to work, I just knew it!

****

Helen and I had prepared the site, then she left me to complete the spell on my own. I had to be the one to summon the demon so that it would answer only to me. Slicing the blade across my palm, I summoned the demon, "Avroclayth, I call you forth to do my bidding." My voice boomed across the courtyard as the wind began to swirl. I could feel my magic swell. I'd spent the last two years learning everything and anything Helen would teach me. She'd found me one night, sobbing in the back alley after a soldier had stolen my innocence. She trained me in the ways of Hecate over the years and I was a quick study. One of the first things I'd done after mastering my magic was to find that soldier and turn him inside out - literally.

"Who dares to call me?" the demon growled from the center of my circle. He was terrifying looking to most I'm sure, but not me. I'd seen my fair share of demons. Humanity was still far more evil if you ask me.