Chapter 71

Multiple POVs

North's POV

It had been two months and she was still a shell of herself. Callie had thrown herself into taking care of the babies and practically shut all of us out after Clay's apparent death. Despite not being a mate bond, she was affected in almost the same way. Lilith had moved in with us to help, while we all took turns caring for the twins. Gabe and Marc had redone the basement with a nursery. She wouldn't leave them out of her sight for long, so we finally put a bed in the room for her as well.  Sean also thought she was suffering from postpartum depression.

Axel came up the stairs with Mela in his arms. She was beautiful like her momma with dark curls but had her daddy's dark eyes. "Is Callie sleeping?" I asked softly to avoid waking the baby.

He nodded, "She dozed off about ten minutes ago and the girls became restless. Marc and Lilith took Aydana outside for some sunlight. Seems she needs a daily dose just like her dad - part of the whole phoenix thing."

"Who's with Callie?"

"Corey and Raven are watching over her. I didn't want her to wake up and panic," he said, shifting the babe when she began to squirm. She opened her dark eyes and looked straight at me. My heart melted when her chubby hand raised toward me.

"May I?" I asked him, taking a step closer.

He chuckled, "Sure. I think she's quite taken with you, Papa."

I grinned ear to ear at the name as I held the little tyke to my chest, softly patting her back. She wiggled and settled against my neck as I hummed to her while Axel fixed her a bottle. When it was warm, he passed it to me and I headed to the couch to feed her. Mela's small fingers wrapped around mine, and I drew in a sharp breath. My mind was filled with an image of Callie being crowned Luna. "Is that the way to help your mommy, our little shadow?" I asked the babe as she made gurgles.

"What?" Axel asked, giving me a confused look.

"I believe your daughter just gave me a vision. She showed me Callie's Luna ceremony. It wasn't far off either, the girls were still babies," I explained.

"Woah, really? I mean, do you think she would?" he asked.

"I think it's a grand idea," Owen said, coming into the room. "Perhaps it will give her some focus and a chance for the girls to be introduced to the pack as well. While I realize they aren't wolves, they are part of the family."

Axel blew out a breath. "Let her sleep for now, then we can talk tonight."

Raven's POV

I watched her chest rise and fall as she slept. Her eyes had dark circles and she was far too thin. She reached out her hand and whimpered in her sleep. I didn't even stop to think as I grabbed her open hand. She clenched it in her hand tightly and I felt like I was being sucked into a tunnel. I blinked thinking I was losing my mind. She stood before me, hair swirling, encircled in a swath of white light, but her eyes were solid black. "Malen'kiy vampir?" Her head tilted as she looked at me. She stepped closer and I felt her essence start to envelop us. When she placed her hands on my chest and began kissing my neck I moaned, "Callie."

Grabbing her neck, I slammed my lips to hers. I felt her lips part as my tongue pressed into her mouth. She made a low guttural sound as her nails dug into my skin. I felt her pulling from me, feeding from my desire, but I didn't care. I was so lost in her touch, that I would gladly die in her embrace. "Raven," she whispered, and I felt a rush of energy fill me. I looked at her eyes and saw their pale color once again. "I'm so sorry," she cried.