Chapter 5

Adelina Celine Torres

A few days have passed since I went to dinner with Aaron.

I've texted him once with a simple Hi, but he didn't respond. In fear of being annoying, I haven't texted him again.

I probably sound pathetic, but I really liked spending time with him. When I'm around people I can usually feel them get bored or annoyed with me when I talk, but I didn't feel that with him.

Sure, I felt judgement, but not mean judgement, if that makes sense. More like...curiosity.

I hope he didn't just agree to be friends because he felt pressured or anything. I am pretty intimidating so I wouldn't blame him.

"Ms. Torres" a sharp voice pulls me from my thoughts. Mr. Edwards is looking at me expectantly. I blink a few times, feeling my heart race at the full classes attention being on me.

I quickly glance to the board to try and figure out what he's asking me, when the girl next to me slips a post-it note on my desk with words scribbled on it. "Um..inflammation of the outer layer of the heart" I say, trying to not make it sound like I'm reading off a sticky note.

Mr. Edwards nods, then continues to teach. My heart rate slows as I look to the girl next to me, a brunette girl with stunning green eyes. "Thank you" I whisper. She just winks at me, and I feel a blush creep on to my face.

The lesson drones on until the end of the class. "What were you thinking about?" The girl who sits next to me asks as everyone starts to pack up and leave. "What?" I ask, confused.

"When you didn't know the answer, you were spaced out no?" She asks. "Oh um nothing much, just all of my exams" I lie.

"Good thing I was there to bail you out" she smirks at me. "Im Alyssa" she smiles. "Im Adelina"

"Adelina" Mr. Edwards calls out from the front of the room as I sling my tote bag on my shoulder.

Alyssa makes a 'Goodluck' face as she waves and leaves me with Mr. Edwards. I make my way to the front of the room to where my professor is leaned against his desk.

"Yes?" I ask.

"You were distracted today" he tells me. I look to my feet, twisting the hair tie around my wrist to settle my nerves. "I'm sorry" I say.

"Anything in particular that is causing you to...daydream...in my class?" Mr. Edwards steps closer to me. I step back, "Ummm no sir, I'm just very stressed right now" I say, wondering why the room has gotten a billion degrees hotter.

"Okay Lina. Make sure you pay attention in my class." Mr. Edwards tells me, then dismisses me.

On my way to my car, I glance at my phone to see a notification.

Ronny :)
Hi

My heart does a backflip.

Hi

I respond.

Read

Stupid Adelina why did you say Hi again!

I just finished school, do you want to do something with me?

I impatiently stare at my phone as he types, then stops typing, then types again.

What

I pause for a second, trying to conjure something fun that we could do.

Ice skating?

Ok.

I have a wide smile at my face at him agreeing to hang out with me. I've always wanted to go ice skating. I drive home listening to Rihanna because I feel cool having friends to hang out with for once. A friend, singular.