Chapter 49

Adelina Celine Torres

Mission investigating Ronald Hendrix is a go.

Today I am going to bring him lunch at his work, both because he has been at work every day this week and I haven't seen him and because I want to snoop.

Is it smart to snoop if I think he's a criminal? No. Am I smart? Debatable.

I pick up his favorite sandwich from a local restaurant by the coast, then I drive to his little office building. My nerves are through the roof as I walk into the lobby with a bag of food in my hand.

I have texted Ron the past few days, but barely. I think he's super busy cause we haven't hung out.

I bought myself a sandwich too, so maybe he will have time for us to eat lunch together.

As I walk through the lobby I give the woman at the front a big smile, "Hi, I'm here for Aaron." I say.

She eyes me warily, "Mr. Hendrix never said he's expecting a visitor."

I frown, "Yes well, I'm surprising him with lunch."

She stares at me for a moment, like she's debating to let me in.

"Please?" I add.

"Alright. I remember you from the other day." She tells me, opening the small little things you're supposed to walk through.

"Thank you so much...Vanessa" I read her name tag, "I'm Adelina" I say.

"Nice to meet you." She responds, and I walk through.

I step into the elevator and go to the top floor where I know Aaron's office is. I'm not confident he will be in his office, but worst case scenario I can wait for him.

When the elevator reaches the top, I walk out and make my way to his office. I am wearing jeans and a sweater, and feel a little out of place as I pass by people in suits and dresses.

Right as I am about to reach Ron's office my attention is taken when I spot him in what seems to be a break room just down the hall.

Gotcha.

When I walk in the room, I realize he is in here alone with the same woman who I saw with his father the other night.

The absolutely freaking drop dead gorgeous one.

Upon my entrance their conversation completely stops and she looks at me with an almost amused expression.

She wears nice pants and a zip up jacket over, her dark hair falling to her mid back and her face having a little more makeup on than the other night, but she's still just as pretty.

"Hi." I squeak out, looking at Ron who stands up when he sees me. "What are you doing here?"

I hold out the bag of food, "I um...lunch?" I give him a sheepish smile, an awful feeling growing in my stomach that I was interrupting something.

"Oh, please, don't let me stop you. I'm sure you're full from the pizza I bought us, but I will leave you two." The woman smiles, standing up and walking past me and Ron.

Don't feel so freaking insecure, Addie.

"Sorry...I guess I should've asked first." I lower the bag.

"No, come on you know I love this place." Ron takes the bag from my hand, "And I—"

He stops himself, "I would love to have lunch with you."

My eyes light up at his words, "Really? But aren't you full?"