Chapter 62

Aaron Hendrix

"You are painfully bad at this, please just focus?" I watch as Addie scolds Owen after he hits the third ball in a row out of bounds.

They are playing pickleball against Mike and Tony, and I am just watching.

Owen begged Addie to be his partner after Mike made a comment about being the more athletic one, leaving me partnerless. I was not about to be with Mike or Tony, so I am happily just observing.

Adelina is fucking adorable.

Every time the ball is at her she hits it over, not very hard, but successfully—which is more than Owen can say.

When she scores a point she jumps with excitement and high fives Owen, who has contributed about nothing to their team.
He has hit nearly every ball out of bounds, trying way too hard to spike it that he just sails it to the surrounding courts.

"I am focused! Sorry I am too strong. You're barely even hitting the ball!" Owen argues back.

"At least my hits are in bounds!"

I can tell Adelina is getting frustrated, and I have to say it's cute seeing her competitive side.

"10-7" Tony says the score before he serves, hitting it to Owen who completely misses the ball.

Adelina puts her hand to her forehead, "Team meeting please?" She pauses the game as Mike and Tony laugh.

She drags Owen over to where I am sat on a bench right by the court. "Can you fix him?" She asks me, her hair tied in a high ponytail with little pieces astray. She wears shorts and a tight tank top, fitting her curves perfectly.

She snaps her finger in my face, "Come on dude snap out of it." I look up at her face to see her giving me a look.

"Addie, it's just pickleball." I remind her, although I secretly enjoy her being this worked up. Cute.

"Tony was talking mad trash before this, I am not about to lose!"

Owen groans, "And Mike will never let this go if he beats me."

"Then stop trying to hit the ball 100 miles an hour ever time." I say flatly, confused on how he doesn't see the issue with how he's playing.

"Then they will get it easily." He retorts.

"Better than them not having to do anything." Adelina points out, causing Owen to turn and lightly smack her with his paddle.

"Adelina has been hitting it softly and it has been working fine." I say.

She makes an offended face, "Softly?! I am killing the ball."

"They have time to look at one another, talk about who is getting it, then position to spike it down on me." Owen tells her.

"Y'know we are not gonna win if we don't get along, Owen, so let's just not blame one another?" She smiles to him and turns him to face her.

"Yeah, it's not us it's them." He agrees, nodding his head. With that, then interlock arms and head back to the court where Tony and Mike have been waiting for them.

These two are idiots.

The rest of their game goes by a little better, and they manage to catch up and tie it 20-20 with the game being to 21.

Minutes later they win, and I am surprised to see Adelina is not a humble winner whatsoever.

"Wait, Tony what was the score again?" She asks a grumpy Tony as we walk to the parking lot. He just gives her a nasty look, "Yeah and who's the un athletic one?" Owen piles onto the teasing for Mike.