Chapter 42

Adelina Celine Torres

I hate right now.

I am home freaking alone--unless you count Mama and Avery--and out of every one of my favorite snacks, and to top it off my car won't start to get to the grocery store.

And its past midnight, but I'm hungry....so I have to walk.

It has been a little over a week since Ronny found out about my dad, and he hasn't let me stay home while Papa's home since then. I'm only allowed to be home this weekend cause Papa is out of town.

Drama queen. He doesn't understand Papa only hurts me very occasionally, and that I just need to not tick him off and I will be fine.

I slip into my favorite Ugg boots and toss on a huge hoodie since it's chilly outside. There's a convenience store a quick twenty minute walk away...note the sarcasm.

I should just Uber eats ice cream. Eh, I could use the exercise.

The cold air hits me hard when I step out of my house and I instantly regret choosing to walk to the store, but oh well.

I know what you guys are probably thinking: she's so stupid for walking around LA past midnight alone!

Well don't fret, I am equipped with a pocket knife and pepper spray incase anyone chooses to mess with me.

I tested my pepper spray aim on Ronny the other day, making him wear swimming goggles and try to kidnap me. He lunged for me and I spun around and nailed him in the face with pepper spray.

Also, Ron looks adorable in goggles.

I finally reach the store after a walk that feels way longer than just twenty minutes, and make a beeline for the freezer section.

Mint chocolate chip. Bingo.

I grab a large tub of it, then go to the chips aisle for takis. Yeah, I can handle spicy food or whatever.

"Thank you so much" I smile to the guy working at the store. After that, I step back into the coldness and wonder why I am in shorts. When I start to walk and turn a corner, I feel myself completely collide with someone, causing me to fall backwards onto my butt.

I feel a shooting pain in my torso form hitting the ground, my ribs still not fully healed.

"Ow." I mumble, looking up to see a man standing over me.

He has dark hair with gray pieces from aging, a stubble on his face, and oddly familiar hazel eyes. He's tall, over 6 feet at least, and wears black pants and a black coat.

"I am so sorry!" I exclaim, feeling awful for running into this poor man. "It's alright princess." He smiles down to me, offering me his hand.

I take it, letting him help me off the floor. I glance into my grocery bag to make sure my ice cream didn't spill or leak on impact when I fell.

"It's a little late to be out no?" He says to me, his voice deep and a little intimidating not gonna lie. I just shrug, "I wanted ice cream."

He laughs slightly, "Be careful, there's all kinds of people out at this time." He says, his eyes staring into my freaking soul.

"Alright." Is all I say. "Sorry again for hitting into you." I give him a small smile, moving to walk past him. After I pass him I glance over my shoulder and see him turned and watching me walk away.

Weird.

I shake off the weird vibes I got, figuring he's probably just a nice older man who was concerned I am out all alone this late. I imagine he has a cute little family, maybe even grandkids.