Chapter 7

Adelina Celine Torres

"Where do you want to go?" I ask Aaron, since he showed up to my house at extremely short notice with just a text as a warning.

I ran out to his car as fast as I could, not wanting to know what would happen if my family saw me and Aaron hanging out.

Aaron just shrugs at my question. What kind of person shows up unannounced and doesn't even have plans for what to do?

"Can we bake something?" I suggest, now super excited about the idea. Aaron nods, making a turn and driving us to his house. "What" He says when we walk into the kitchen.

"Ummmm" I open the pantry door, assessing what I'm working with. My eyes widen at the variety of items in the pantry. There is literally any food or ingredient imaginable.

"What about a cake?" I spin around to face Aaron. He nods, which means he's super excited about making a cake, obviously.

We gather the ingredients, and by we I mean me, because Aaron is clueless as to what goes into a cake.

"There's recipes online" He says, not trusting me when I crack four eggs in a bowl. I make an offended face, "Guessing is what makes baking fun!" He rolls his eyes at this.

We start mixing different things together until it looks like cake mix, which is good enough for me. I start to get my sleeves dirty, but I don't roll them up due to the nasty purple bruise on my wrist.

After putting it in the oven, I look at the disaster that is the kitchen. There is flour and sugar and everything imaginable everywhere.

When the oven beeps, I rush over to check on our masterpiece. I peek open the oven door, then squeal when its slightly risen and a gorgeous chocolate brown color.

After testing its done-ness with a fork, I take it out and set it down to cool. "Looking good right?" I brag to Aaron, who's giving the cake a suspicious look. It is slightly uneven and crumbly, but it smells amazing.

I flip it over after it cools, trying to take it out of the pan so we can ice it. When it doesn't slip out, I give Aaron a look. "You sprayed the pan, right?"

"No"

"Are you messing with me?"

He shakes his head.

I try and shake the pan, hoping the cake won't stick despite someones lack of attention to spraying the pan.

It falls out slightly after I hit it, but only the top half, completely ripping the cake in half.

"Nice cake" Aaron teases. I pick up a chunk of it and launch it at his face.

He looks completely caught off-guard, then pushes my own head down completely into the cake. "Hey!" I squeal, taking a fistful of the cake and trying to smash it into his face, but he holds my waist so I'm facing away from him, unable to twist around and hit him with the cake.

When I slip out of his grasp, he grips my wrist as a last resort to stop me from hitting him.

I wince at the contact on my wrist, pulling away from him. He freezes, and his whole amused demeanor from a second ago vanishes.

Oh gosh, he thinks he hurt me.

"No no it's not you, I just hurt my wrist earlier" I say, trying to assure him it's not his fault. His eyes narrow at this, so I pull up my sleeve to show him, "I closed my car door on it on accident" I lie. I can't tell if he believes it or not.

He takes my wrist in his hands, looking at the bruise.

"what is going on in here?" Owen walks in, then freezes when he sees the messy state that the kitchen is in. I quickly tug down my sleeve to cover the bruise, "We made a cake" I smile to Owen, holding up a piece of the broken cake.

I take a bite, surprised by how good it tastes. I hold some up to Aarons mouth for him to try, but he just looks at me weirdly. "More for me" I shrug, eating the cake in my hand. "You're not going to offer me any?" Owen leans forward on the counter top.

"I had to offer my chef partner some first, but since he is weird and doesn't want any, I guess you can have his half" I concede, reaching a fistful of cake across the counter to Owen who takes it and eats it. "Wow this is good" He says, sounding surprised.

I look to Aaron, giving him a smug look at how well the cake turned out. "What happened to it, though?" Owen asks.

"Ronny here forgot to spray the pan" I say. Aaron scoffs, "That was you"

Owen's eyes widen, "Are you going to take that from him, Lina?"

"No I am not" I say, smashing some more cake on his face. I laugh when Aaron death glares Owen, who nervously smiles before pretending someone is calling his name and leaving.

Aaron and I clean up the kitchen, which takes forever due to the slight...mess I made. I feel slightly bad for being responsible for the cake on the floor, but Aaron should've remember to spray the pan.

"tada, it's like we never even messed up your kitchen" I say as we finish up cleaning.

"And when I leave, you can try the remainder of our cake and like it, because we both know you're avoiding trying it in front of me because then you'd have to admit how good of a cake chef I am." I say, putting my hands on my hips.

"You're leaving?" He asks.

Awwwww he doesn't want me to go. Stop Adelina, you two are friends, friends spend time together.

"No, I mean not unless you want me to" I say. He shakes his head, "Ok, then do you want to watch a movie or something?" I suggest, to which Aaron nods.

After we make popcorn, I settle comfortably on the huge couch in the living room. I snuggle under a huge gray blanket, then surf the TV for a movie to watch. Aaron brings in the popcorn and sits beside me, about a foot away.

"Ok I have picked like everything we've done, so you get to pick the movie" I say. Aaron takes the remote and scrolls for a minute or two before landing on Hereditary.

"Is this a horror movie? I don't do well with scary" I say. "No" Aaron says.

I look at the cover of the movie, which looks creepy, but I choose to believe him. I quickly pay for this when I am forced to witness a little girls head get decapitated.

I hide my face in the blanket, then peek up afterwards. "You little liar" I snap at him. Not only is this movie terrifying, but it's gotten dark out leaving the room pitch black besides the TV screen light.

"Its fake" Aaron says. "That doesn't mean it isn't scary" I object.

As the movie goes on, It just gets scarier and scarier. At one part, I catch Aaron laughing at how scared I am. So my hilarious jokes can never manage to make him crack a smile, but me trembling with fear cracks him up? Sociopath.

As much as I hate this movie, I can't help but enjoy the time next to Aaron where he laughs at me when I hide my face in the blanket.

When the movie is over, somehow I've moved closer to Aaron so now we are shoulder to shoulder.

"You like it?" Aaron asks me. I lean my head sideways on his shoulder, "That was the most terrifying movie ever, and you never get to pick the movie again"

He smirks, and I realize he probably did this so I would never make him pick the movie.

It also means he assumes there will be another movie night.

1350 words