Chapter 12

(disclaimer: I know she said she wasn't that close with her older brother earlier, but lets pretend she didn't say that :) thanks!)

Adelina Celine Torres

I spend the rest of my weekend crammed into my books, studying for one of my exams on Monday.

Aaron and I text a little bit as I study. He tells me he's at work, but he keeps responding so I guess he's not that good of an employee, texting on the job and all.

When Monday rolls around, I take my test and hope to God I did better than my last test. I studied literally every second of my free time, though, and I felt super confident on the material. Maybe if I aced this test my parents would be happy with me.

Deep down I know that's not true, and that even if I got a 100 they would get mad I didn't do extra credit to get a 101, thats the type of people they are.

Nick comes home today, so I shower and get dressed for lunch that he promised we would have. It has been hard not having anyone in my family I can talk to the past few weeks. I am lucky I happened to make two friends while Nick was away.

"Nick!" I exclaim when he pulls into the driveway. He gets out and gives me a big hug. "Hi Lina" He puts me down. "How are you?"

"I'm good, I have lots to tell you."

I get in his car and he drives us to a deli downtown. I love going downtown. The big buildings and perfect California weather makes me so happy. But I don't think I could ever live downtown, maybe a beach house. Of course I have zero of my own money, so I would have to save up for that, but after I graduate I will make big money.

"How was New York?" I ask when we sit down. "Good, I won" He smiles to me, and I feel extremely proud of him for winning his big case. It has something about some political scandal and someone getting murdered, which sounds so stressful.

I could never be a lawyer. I'd probably cry if someone yelled at me in a courtroom.

"Congratulations!" I tell him. "So, what all do you have to tell me about?" he asks.

"I made two new friends while you were gone." I brag. He looks surprised, "Really? That's amazing Lina! Who are they?"

"There's Ronny who I met downtown, then Alyssa who sits next to me in class" I explain.

"A boy?" Nick looks at me suspiciously.

"yes a boy, but we are just friends so don't give me that look" I eye him. Nick laughs, "I'm just messing with you. So do I get to meet these friends?"

"Maybe" I answer.

"Maybe?" Nick asks.

"If they come over you can meet them. Also don't tell Mama and Papa, they wouldn't approve of them"

Nick raises an eyebrow, "Are your friends bad?"

"No, not bad. But you know how Mama and Papa are. Oh and don't mention it to Avery either"

Nick sighs, "You are your little feud with Avery's got to end, Lina. I get not liking our parents, but we should at least get along."

I fold my arms across my chest, "Avery is mean to me" I say.

"She's just insecure,"

I scoff, "Of what?"

"You, Lina. You're pretty and smart, so she hates you"

I can't believe what Nick is saying, does he honestly believe it or is he just lying to my face? "Avery is not jealous of me" I say. Nick shrugs, "I see it"