Chapter 19

Aaron Hendrix

Tonight is one of the biggest events in the business world. Everyone makes deals, everyone backstabs one another, and everyone dangerous comes together.

I don't know why she is fucking here. She doesn't belong here, and when I saw her alone in the hallway, I damn near lost it with her.

She looks beautiful tonight, and any asshole here would see her alone and take advantage of that.

Maybe I was a little upset she hadn't texted me for a week, but either way she should not be here. So instead of making deals and enjoying my night, I have been lurking around the table she is at with some girl and keeping an eye on her.

"Ah Mr. Hendrix, pleasure to meet you" A man approaches me and offers me his hand. I recognize him instantly as Nick Torres, Addie's brother.

She says she likes him, so he must not be as bad as the rest of her family. I know him as a well respected lawyer from Harvard, but he's a little too far in the public eye for me to seek out working with him. I shake his hand, wondering what the hell he wants. "I heard you have been doing business with my father?" He asks. I scoff, "Did, not anymore"

Nick laughs, "Can't blame you for that. He has that effect on people"

"I just wanted to introduce myself, and if you ever need a lawyer I would be happy to work with you" Nick hands me a business card. I nod at this, having lots of respect for the man. I have heard lots of good things.

We talk for a little longer, until I spot a man by Addie's table talking specifically to her, and three empty fucking drinks in front of her.

"Isn't that your sister?" I ask, nodding towards the table.

Nick looks and his expression hardens when he sees a man clearly hitting on her. "Fucking hell" He mutters, "Sorry" He excuses himself, leaving me and going over to the table.

I watch as he gets the guy to leave her alone, and I watch as Adelina glares at her brother, then argues with him.

Does she like that guy and is mad he got him to leave?

She gets up and leaves the room, looking angry with her brother. The girl she was with is talking to Nick, seemingly defending Adelina. I slip out of the room after Addie, who I find out on one of the balconies of the venue.

I walk behind her and come up next to where she is leaning over the balcony edge.

"Adelina" I say, her attention turning to me.

"Are you angry with me?" She asks. Fuck.

"No"

She makes a face at me like she doesn't believe me. Her hair is slightly messy and I can tell she is tipsy. "What did I say about being alone?" I say.

She scoffs, "Don't start this too" She says. I look at her for a second, waiting for her to elaborate.

"My brother thinks he can tell me what to do all the time. I am a grown ass woman" She says.

It feels unnatural hearing her cuss, almost making me laugh. "You are" I tell her, putting my arm around her to turn her towards me. "But as a grown ass man, I want to protect you"

She looks up at me, her big doe eyes staring right into mine. She subconsciously chews on her bottom lip, not knowing how much it drives me crazy.

Before I know what happens she stands on her tip toes, puts her arms around my neck, and leans in to fucking kiss me.

I move my head back, knowing she is drunk enough to not know if she wants this. "I-I'm sorry" She moves away from me. "That was--I'm sorry" She says again, taking her hands off my neck.