Chapter 28

Adelina Celine Torres

"That movie sucked." I say to Nick when The Wolf of Wall Street finishes. "Why did you make me watch that?" I ask, feeling like my eyes need cleansed.

"It's good."

"Disgusting." I mutter to him, turning on the lights in the movie room.

"Hey!" He hissed, trying to cover his eyes from the light.

"Now it's my pick." I say, since it's only midnight.

"Fine. No rom coms though."

"I just watched people snort drugs off of other peoples butts, I get to pick whatever I want." I say flatly.

"Good point." He concedes.

"Why the hell are you wearing sunglasses?" he almost laughs, reaching and taking them off of me before I can stop him.

He jokingly puts them on himself, then all of his amusement from them vanishes in a second when he sees my eye.

"Adelina." He says, his tone deathly. My phone dings from the couch and of course it's Ronny. Nick's eyes lock with mine after he sees Ronny's name on my phone.

"I'm going to kill him."

He says, turning for the door. I chase after him, stopping him right before he reaches the door of the movie room. "Nick no, he didn't do anything." I plead, "I hit my eye on the wall that's all." I lie, but he doesn't buy it for a second.

He moves to push past me but I block him, "Nick." I try to say sternly, "Move." He demands.

I want to scream at him and say it wasn't Ronny, it was dad, but I couldn't. Nick and Papa have a good relationship, I won't--I can't ruin it.

"Please just let me explain." I say, trying to get him to calm down. He hesitates for a second, then takes a step away from the door at looks at me, anger radiating off of him.

"It wasn't him." I say, unable to look at Nick in the eyes. I know I have to come up with someone who did this, fast, or Nick would assume I am lying again. "Papa's business friend. But it's fine. I'm fine." I say, guilt racking on me for lying to him.

"Who."

"I don't know his name. He tried to...kiss me and I slapped him, so he punched me." I lie straight through my teeth, hoping he buys it.

"Dad let that happen?"

"He wasn't there. I was out with friends and ran into his friend. Now can I pick a movie?" I say, my heart beating so fast I am scared it will leap from my chest.

"He doesn't know. Just don't tell anyone okay?" I take the glasses back from his hand and put them on my face. "Lina." he says to me, still looking just as angry.

"Please?" I say.

He stares at me for a minute or two and I am fully convinced he saw straight through my lies, but all he does is hand me the remote. "Put on a fucking rom com."

———

"This place is stupid."

"Shut up." I tell Ronny, who is grumpily following me into a small fair outside of town. It's so cute, I saw a poster for it when I was walking to class the other day, and I just knew I would make Ron come with me.

I think Alyssa is here too, so maybe we will run into her. I'm not sure if she came with her group of friends or just Tess...but it would be fun to see her.

"Look at the rides!" I point out as people scream on the roller coaster.

"Y'know how dangerous those are?"