Chapter 63

Adelina Celine Torres

Today I am making the executive decision to buy a puppy.

I have not asked Ron yet, and I am a little nervous to just show up with a puppy, but I really really hope he loves it.

I am at a shelter right now, and my heart is breaking at the sight of so many dogs living in cages with no homes, but I know I can only realistically take one for now.

I had already picked one out on the shelters website, a 4 year old pitbull named Lucy. She spent her life going from shelter to shelter, and I feel like I can give her a super nice life.

I walk through the hallway of the shelter and am about to walk into the room Lucy is waiting for me in, and my heart is racing so fast. What if she hates me? What if Ron hates her? Who can hate a puppy? Not a puppy, but a dog. I have a habit of calling all dogs puppies, even if they're not technically under the category.

When I open the door, though, all of my worries melt away as I see the adorable little dog sitting next to a worked with a collar around her neck. She has beautiful gray fur with a white stomach, and the biggest brown eyes ever. Her tail wags side to side so fast and her body with it.

She seems excited.

"Adelina?" The woman holding Lucy says to me, "Hi," I say, my eyes focused on the gorgeous little princess who is pulling on the leash to come see me.

Oh my gosh.

Lucy isn't a big dog, but definitely not a small one. She is lean, though, and looks extremely athletic.

"Can I pet her?" I ask the woman--Andrea-- who is holding the dog. "Of course, she gets a little excited with new people, though." She warns me, slowly releasing Lucy's leash.

I squat down to say hi, when Lucy full force runs at me and knocks me onto my back on the floor. My face is attacked with kisses and I feel so freaking happy with this dog. I manage to sit up as Andrea panics a little bit, "I promise she is a good dog, she just seems to like you a lot. She is calm I swear--

She tries to reason with me like I am about to change my mind on adopting the dog just for her being overly excited, "It is no problem, I love her." I smile to Andrea, petting Lucy who has calmed down a little bit.

"That is great! I do have one other thing to mention..." She trails off, looking super nervous.

"Lucy has a little sister who has been inseparable with her since she was a puppy."

Stop.

"I get two of them?!" I exclaim, looking at Lucy's cute little face. "It's alright with you?" Andrea asks me.

I hesitate for a second, then decide I'm too far in. I already met Lucy so there's no going back, and I am not about to separate two cute little babies. "Yes it's alright."

I stand up and say goodbye to Lucy for now, since I need to go finish paperwork and meet her sister Molly. Molly is so similar to Lucy, just a little smaller and with darker fur and no white on her stomach. She is a little less happy-go-lucky, but she warms up to me a little as I give her belly rubs.

Once all my paperwork is finished, I load the pups into the back seat of my car. I already ordered some dog toys and treats on Amazon since I knew I was getting Lucy, and I guess I can just get more for Molly.

"You guys better get your puppy dog faces on for when we meet your dad." I tell the dogs as I try to drive smoothly. I accidentally hit the breaks too hard and hear them slam into the back of my seat, then I pull over and frantically make sure they are both alright.