Chapter 21

Adelina Celine Torres

When church gets out I feel a lot better than I had about last night. I got up early and was out of the house before Papa was even awake, then had breakfast at a little cafe before church.

I'm wearing one of my new dresses: a light blue sun dress with white accents on it. My hair is down with small braids on the sides, and I even put on a little makeup. It felt really nice to get up and put myself together like this.

Afterwards, I roam around downtown a little bit to kill time before I have to go home, and end up sitting down and eating a full chocolate cake by myself at a bakery.

I'm left alone for one day and consume 1500 calories in one sitting.

Oops.

I feel a little less refreshed and a little extremely bloated, but whatever. If I want to eat a chocolate cake who will stop me?

I spend the rest of my day out and about doing a bunch of stupid stuff. I blow fifty bucks at a lego store on a lego Eiffel Tower, then spend two hours making it on a picnic table in the park. Then I undid it to put it back in the box to take home.

My life is very exciting.

As the sun starts to set, I figure I should finally head home, even though I am dreading seeing my father.

When I start to walk home, I take my time and even take a long route back to my house. Turning a corner, I feel myself completely run into someone.

"I am so sorry!" I exclaim, then look up to see Aaron.

He looks down at me, and I can instantly tell he is upset. "Aaron?" I say, taking a step back and looking up at him.

"Hi." He says under his breath, his hazel eyes staring into my soul. He looks sad.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, the troubled look in his eyes making me feel uneasy. He looks so...vulnerable.

"Can you come over?" He asks, his voice low and soft.

I hesitate for a second, completely confused as to what is happening. What I did know, though, was that something happened and Aaron needed someone, so I nod.

Aaron leads me to his car and we get in, and I can't help but feel a little awkward.

If something did happen to him, I can't be holding on to my embarrassment of kissing him--attempting to kiss him-- I need to drop it and be there for him.

When we get to his house nobody else seems to be home, "Aaron what happened?" I ask him once we are in the living room area. "Nothing." He says, although he doesn't look at me in the eyes.

I just look at him, and he sighs. "You should go." He then says.

"What? No I'm not leaving." I fold my arms over my chest. This little twerp thinks he can just be alone in his feels and I am not having it.

"Owen is in the hospital." He says after a few seconds of silence.

My eyes widen with surprise, and I am about to talk when he cuts me off, "Hit and run." He says, not looking at me. My heart breaks seeing him like this, and worry grows inside of me for Owen.

"Is he going to be okay?" I ask.

"They don't know." He says quietly.

I step towards Ronny and get on my tip toes to wrap my arms around him, feeling his arms go to my waist and his head lean against my shoulder. We stay like that for a while and I can tell he needs this by how tightly his grip is on me, almost like he is begging me not to let go any time soon.