Chapter 25

Adelina Celine Torres

"I wonder what ever happened to Mr. Edwards." Alyssa says as we walk into class. Our new teacher, Ms. McGovern, has been here for the past few weeks. She's a nice elderly woman who seems very passionate about teaching. I like her.

I never told Alyssa what happened with me and Mr. Edwards. I don't know why, maybe I was embarrassed or something. Now if I did tell her it'd be weird that I didn't say anything in the first place.

"I dunno" is all I say, sitting down and taking out my computer to take notes on.

School has been going smoothly for a little while. I have managed to keep my grades up and even get a decent amount of sleep and social activities in.

By social activities, I mean hanging out with Ronny and occasionally Alyssa.

I haven't hung out with Alyssa a lot recently since she is always with her brothers friends and Blake.

I am pretty sure Blake likes me, so I kind of feel bad hanging out with him since I don't feel the same way. But, it's not like he made a move, so I can't tell him I'm not interested in case he doesn't like me.

I'm not necessarily avoiding him, just somewhat keeping my distance.

I just know that I would be upset if Ronny hung out with a girl he knew liked him, so I feel like I should give him the same as I expect from him.

Why do I even expect that from him? We aren't dating or anything....and as long as I don't like Blake and he hasn't explicitly told me he likes me, it's fine.

"Lina" Alyssa whisper-shouts at me.

I snap out of my thoughts and look at her, "What'd you get for seven?" She asks. I show her my paper and she looks, then copies it down.

The rest of class drones on and I find myself hating school for once. Usually it's my escape from home, but now I have other things in my life besides just school and home.

When the class ends, I am about to leave when Ms. McGovern calls me to stay behind. Alyssa gasps, "Maybe she has a crush on you too." She whispers jokingly before she leaves.

I walk to the front, "Yes?" I ask, my heart racing at the thought of being in trouble or anything. "I just wanted to let you know, Ms. Torres, that I am a good friend of your fathers." She gives me a smile, although it is not a comforting one.

"He has asked me to report to him about you. Grades, missing class, or slacking off."

Lucky me.

I am stunned, and unable to find the words to say to the woman. She just looks at me with a disgusted expression on her face, like I am dirt on the bottom of her shoe. 

I open my mouth to speak and can't manage to get words out, I just feel my eyes watering and I turn and storm out of the room. 

The drive home is five minutes faster than usual, and by the time I get there any tears that were forming are long gone. I am freaking mad. 

I'm fuming when I storm into my house, unsure what my plan is but I know one thing: I am not going to let him control me like this. It's one thing to look at my grades, but to hire someone specifically to watch me when I am at school?! I am not a toddler! 

School and being with friends are my only escape from home, and now I don't even have school. 

 "Why the heck are you monitoring me at school!" I yell at Papa, who is eating dinner alone in the kitchen. He looks surprised at my outburst, probably because I have never raised my voice at him before.