Chapter 44

Adelina Celine Torres

Today I am at the library.

I have a buttload of assignments I am supposed to be keeping up with over the break, and I have done zero of them. Oops.

I have spent the last two hours doing assignments and catching up, my eyes feeling like they're about to pop out of my head.

I have not missed studying or doing work.

The past few weeks have been amazing. Greece, hanging out with Nick, hanging with Ronny, Alyssa too. It's only the end of November, so I have another month of relaxing. Relaxing and doing assignments.

Isn't this supposed to be winter break? Break meaning no school? Meaning no school work?

Apparently not.

I sigh and put my head forward on the desk, feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. "You alright?" A voice makes me lift my head. The man I ran into that one night stands next to the table I am at, looking down on me.

He shaved his stubble a little bit shorter, but it's still a decent length like a beard, and he wears nicer pants and a sweater.

"Hi, yeah I'm great." I smile to him.

"May I sit?" he asks.

Not wanting to be rude, I just nod. "Ah studying?" He says, looking to the pile of papers and books in front of me. "Unfortunately."

"I'm Peter." He offers me his hand. "Adelina," I shake it.

"Pretty name." He smiles to me, "Do you think you could help me with something princess?"

Princess...?

I feel slightly creeped out by this guy, but at the same time I get the vibes he is just a chill dad who has no intention of making me feel creeped out. "Sure?" I say, although it comes out like a question.

"Would you read me a little of my book? I left my glasses at home." He takes a book out from a bag. Pride and Prejudice.

I freaking love Pride and Prejudice.

"Of course." I smile at him, seeing a wedding band on his left ring finger and feeling a little guilty I had been creeped out by him. I take the book and go to where his bookmark is. "I only have like fifteen minutes, though, then I need to go home." I tell him, he nods.

I read him two chapters until I have to go. "Thank you so much," he says to me as I hand him his book back. "Yeah, I love that book." I give him a smile.

Before I leave he stops me by grabbing my arm, "Maybe I will see you again?"

I hesitate, unsure how to answer. "Um...I don't know I am really busy." I say, trying not to sound like a jerk but not exactly wanting to regularly hang out with this random man.

"You can't make time?" He says, his voice getting a little scary now, no longer nice older man-like. His grip tightens on my arm, "I want to see you again."

"Sorry..." I shrug his arm off of me, "I really have to go." I tell him, which is true. Ron is supposed to pick me up at 3:00 and its now 3:04. My phone dings on the table and I see Peter's eyes look at it. "Boyfriend?"

I pick up my phone, "Yeah, and he's big and scary so leave me alone." I say to the man, feeling a little guilty but remembering how I ignored things with Mr. Edwards and that turned out...badly to say the least.

I brush past him and sling my backpack over my shoulder, feeling a pit at the bottom of my stomach at that interaction. I feel at ease when I see Ron's car, and walk over and climb into the passenger seat.