Chapter 29

Adelina Celine Torres

I am currently on attempt 10 of trying to knock down the stupid bottles with a stupid ball, and I am about to snap.

I have hit them dead center at full force like every time, and they don't even move!

Each turn is $2, so I'm at negative 20 bucks and no giant stuffed animal.

Ronny says it's rigged and to leave, but I am determined. I can tell the operator is starting to feel bad for me, but whatever.

I will take home the stuffed unicorn.

On attempt 11, I wind up extra big and hurl the ball at the stack of cans, then watch as they wobble a little bit and fall over.

"Yes!" I exclaim, turning and hugging Ronny from being so excited. "See I told you I could do it." I say, turning back to the counter to claim my prize.

"Congratulations. You can have your pick of the small stuffed animals." The guy running this thing says in a monotone voice, obviously not loving his job.

A small one?!

I look to the bigger ones then back to the guy, then to Ronny. "The big ones are for people who do that three times in a row." The guy says.

"We have spent $22 here." Ronny says to the guy.

"I don't make the rules." The worker says.

"It's alright Ronny." I say.

"No, give her the big fucking unicorn." Ronny says, his voice getting scary.

"Yeah you heard him." I say, folding my arms over my chest and staring at the guy.

The worker rolls his eyes and takes down the big unicorn, handing it to me.

"Thank you." I smile to the man, then look to Ronny, handing him the unicorn. "For you."

He raises an eyebrow at this, but takes it.

Good.

We walk around the fair for a little bit longer, then head out to the parking lot to go home. The Ferris wheel was freaking broken.

I hold the unicorn on my lap as Ron drives us. "So what's his name?" I ask him.

"His?"

"Or hers. Whatever floats your boat." I say. "I was trying to say his because it's pink and ya know never assume pink means girl. My secret is that even though your not supposed to assume pink means girl—I do. So I tried to overcompensate by assuming pink was boy."

"You pick a name." He tells me.

Ugh.

"No. I refuse. You get to pick."

He pauses for a second or two, thinking, "Paul."

"Is it a girl or a boy?"

"What do you think Paul means?"

"Sassy." I say, "Ok his name is Paul."

"Y'know those stuffed animals sell for $4 at target, and you made me spend $22 on it." He tells me.

I turn to him, offended. "Okay first of all you refused to let me pay, so don't even try to pull that, and secondly, I feel accomplished that I earned it instead of just buying it."

"Did you earn it?"

"Shut up before I make you go on the big roller coaster again. By the way, ten year olds had no issue with it." I say, raising an eyebrow to see if he will have a sassy remark or not.