16. The Light

Spencer James

*two weeks later*

"This is Big Boy's Neighborhood and we are here with our boy Spencer James!" Big Boy announced through the microphone. "Y'all clap it up for this young cat!" he exclaimed and the hosts cheered.

"Thank you, thank you! What up y'all!" Spencer greeted with a wide smile on his face.

"This been a long time comin', how've you been?" Big Boy inquired, smiling at Spencer.

"Lately I've been thriving..." Spencer began. "I know there was a slight delay with this interview due to unforeseen circumstances...but I'm just glad to be here!" he spoke through the microphone.

"I know that's right! And we are more than glad to have you here with us, man!" Big Boy told him. "So Spencer...your name has been makin' its rounds through the streets of Los Angeles. I've heard that you've opened your own store in South Central?" he inquired.

"Yup that's right" Spencer answered. "My store is called Ode to LA...located in the Crenshaw District on Crenshaw and Slauson" he continued and everyone nodded their heads.

"Would you mind sharing what led you to opening up in the Crenshaw District?" the co-host, Letty, inquired. 

"I'm sure most of you know I'm from South Central, born and raised. You go around and ask about me...nine times outta ten it's gon' be a story...that's just how it is" Spencer chuckled. "But uh after losing my mom at 14, I was turned to the streets and-"

"The streets as in being in a gang?" Letty questioned.

"Somethin' to that extent..." Spencer answered, glancing at her. "I grew up in 60s territory and just unfortunately became a product of my own environment after my mom passed. But deep down I always had an eye for fashion and street wear and I also knew I wanted to get up out of the street politics. The only way was for me to take this business route serious...or I was either gon' end up in jail or dead. So I figured why not give it a shot? So...Ode to LA is one way I'm paying homage to my city...representin' who I am and where I'm from. Giving people affordable and comfortable clothing" he continued.

"That's dope...you know I always love a good story where people turn their life around after enduring in some hardships" Big Boy said. "Is it true you are planning on giving job opportunities to some people in your community?" he inquired.

"Correct. A lot of niggas I know- excuse me for my language-"

"Go 'head brother" Big Boy chuckled. "It'll all get bleeped out" he continued and everyone laughed.

"Uh a lot of niggas I know, aren't able to get jobs because of a minor charge, like sellin' dope. That one charge can alter their life...or shit, even niggas that did time in the pen and have reformed, are struggling too" Spencer began. "Niggas can't get acclimated to society after jail or prison if they not set up with the proper tools for success" he continued and Big Boy agreed.

"It's good to see that your community has someone that cares about the livelihood of their people" Letty said and the other hosts nodded. "How has your recovery process been since being shot?" she asked.

"You don't have to answer if that's somethin' you not comfortable with" Big Boy stated and Spencer appreciated his words.

"You know...it's a work in progress" Spencer began. "That shit fucked me up for quite some time. The physical pain, trauma, and PTSD...I don't wish that shit on nobody. You know I questioned God a lot during that process...I couldn't understand why it had to happen to me. But then I realized, shit why not me? Who the fuck do I think I am? I ain't invincible to none of this shit" he explained and everyone listened.