38. Things Change

Olivia Baker

*one month later*

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!" Olivia beamed as she pulled Simone in for a hug. "How are you and my niecey pooh or nephew?" she inquired, causing Simone to smile.

"Baby and I are doing great!" Simone began and Olivia nodded her head. "You all have been such a great support system..and Jordan's been exceptional through this journey. He's shown up to appointments and he checks in on us daily. He's just doing what any father should do for their child..and his support is very much appreciated" she explained.

"That's amazing!" Olivia said and Simone agreed. Olivia glanced at Halo in her carrier, checking to see if her daughter was still asleep.

"You know I never not once thought that he would not be a great father. Sure he has his hiccups in terms of our relationship, but I always knew he would be involved with his child" Simone said and Olivia nodded. "'So...with everything that's happened between you and Spencer...how are you guys doing?" she asked and Olivia gave her a half smile.

"I'd say we are heading towards the right direction" Olivia began as the both of them entered their local donut shop. "As you know things started getting rocky after I had Halo" she stated and Simone listened.

"I'm sure it did. If it wasn't the transition of two to three kids, Spencer's business finally kicking off, Spencer getting shot, on top of all the other shit that's happened..." Simone began. "Trying to build and navigate a relationship through that much stress is hard" she continued.

"You're not wrong" Olivia chuckled. "Relationships are a lot of work, none are perfect. There's still some things we both need to work on...individually and together. But ultimately we know that we are truly in this and don't want to give up on each other" she explained, pausing to glance at the menu.

"Well I'm glad that you two are willing to figure things out" Simone stated and Olivia thanked her. "Sometimes I wonder if...I gave up on Jordan and I took quickly" she said, causing Olivia to furrow her eyebrows.

"You did the right thing, Simone" Olivia affirmed. "Jordan gave up on the relationship the moment he decided to do what he did. Don't let them hormones fool you girl" she stated, pausing to order.

"You're right" Simone continued their conversation after Olivia finished. "Wait...what are the donuts for again?" she inquired.

"Spencer's having some employee appreciation thingy" Olivia said and Simone nodded her head. "He asked if I could get donuts and coffee. Which of course I didn't mind, I could use the mini outing" she continued.

"You're doing better, mentally?" Simone asked out of concern. "I know you were struggling for some time after you had Halo" she mentioned.

"I still have my days...but I am in a better mental state now than I was before" Olivia answered truthfully.

"Good" Simone began. "Well I hope you know that I am proud of you and that you are doing your absolute best" she complimented and Olivia smiled.

"Thank you, I appreciate your words" Olivia's eyes lit up and Simone smiled.

***

"You grab the donuts and coffee, I'll grab Halo" Olivia suggested as she parked her car in front of Spencer's store. Simone got out first to grab the donuts and coffee, while Olivia grabbed Halo's carrier. 

"Well if it ain't my two favorite people..." Darius smiled as he opened the door for the two young women. "Let me get that for you, shorty" he grabbed the donuts and coffee from Simone's hands.