28. Hate It or Love It

Spencer James

"Y'all quiet as hell" Nae spoke up after long moment of silence. It'd been about thirty minutes since Nae and Olivia picked up Spencer from jail. Neither of them said a word the entire car ride. "Y'all good?" she peeked at Spencer from her rearview mirror. He was sitting in the backseat next to her son.

"I'm good" Spencer cleared his throat. "Just chillin' wit' my nephew" he smiled at the sleeping infant in the car seat.

"What about you, Liv? You good?" Nae glanced at her friend.

"I'm good" she answered dryly and Nae heaved a sigh.

Nae knew Olivia was upset with Spencer and to not take her response personal. Though she understood her frustrations, she also felt Olivia hadn't given Spencer a chance to explain himself. She could feel the tension between the couple so she tried her best to lighten up the mood.

"And who can love you like meee" Nae sang along to Keith Sweat's classic song, 'Nobody'.  Nae balled her hand in a fist as if it were a microphone. She pointed it in the direction of Olivia and then Spencer, but both stayed quiet. "Man both of y'all whack" she sucked her teeth, lowering the volume on her radio.

"Aye Nae" Spencer called out after a moment of silence.

"What up" she glanced at him from her rearview mirror.

"You mind stoppin' somewhere to get some food? A nigga ain't ate all day" Spencer said as his stomach growled loudly. "I know y'all hungry too, I'a pay for y'all shit. I just need somethin' to eat" he mentioned.

"Shit you could've ate some food had you kept your ass at home and not been in jail" Olivia mumbled.

"What was that?" Spencer questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

"I didn't say anything" Olivia crossed her arms and glanced out of the window.

"We can stop by In and Out before I drop y'all off" Nae told him. "Is that good with you?" she inquired.

"That's good with me" Spencer replied.

"You?" Nae asked Olivia.

"Sure" she shrugged her shoulders and Nae scrunched her face.

"You ain't gotta be rude to her, Liv. I get you upset wit' me but I need you to chill out for real" Spencer spoke up. Olivia didn't respond to him, instead she turned towards Nae.

"I'm sorry girl" Olivia apologized to her.

"You good sis" Nae told her. "But try me again and we gon' have an issue for real" she chuckled and Olivia just smiled.

"What y'all want to eat?" Nae inquired as she pulled up to the drive through.

"I'll get a double double animal style" Spencer replied as he pulled his wallet from his pocket. "Y'all go ahead and order" he told them.

"What you want Liv?" Nae asked after she repeated Spencer's order to the drive through operator.

"I'll get the same thing as Spencer but no pickles" Olivia told her and Nae nodded her head.

"Since when you stop liking pickles?" Spencer inquired, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I've never liked pickles, Spencer" Olivia replied in a duh tone.

"Oh you talkin' to me?" Spencer chuckled at her response.

"I don't want to do this right now" Olivia heaved a big sigh.

"Do what? I just made an observation" he mentioned and Olivia rolled her eyes.

"No you're just being an asshole" Olivia glanced back at her husband.