52. New Beginnings

Olivia Baker

"Wow..." Olivia studied her now empty bedroom. "I refuse to believe this is happening" she told herself as her mind began to flood with memories that were once created in this sacred space.

"I know. I can't believe I'm going to be an empty nester" Laura stated, causing Olivia to turn in her direction.

"Jordan will still be here with you" Olivia smiled at her.

"I know but...that's until it's his turn to spread his wings" Laura mentioned and Olivia nodded her head. "But I don't want to think that far ahead now. I still haven't fully accepted that you will no longer be just a few steps down the hall. Or..I won't hear the little steps of feet from the sweetest children in the world" she told her daughter.

"Best believe the kids and I will be coming back often" Olivia reached for her mother's hand. "It'll be like we never left" she squeezed Laura's hand.

"I can't help but think about your father..." Laura began. "And how much of a wreck he'd be right now in this moment" she joked and Olivia cracked a smile.

"He'd never let me leave" Olivia laughed and Laura agreed. Brief silence fell amongst the mother and daughter as they thought of the late Billy Baker.

"This room is forever yours, no matter what" Laura affirmed.

"Thank you" Olivia said as she and Laura shared a long hug.

"Look at you two" Jordan chuckled. "Getting all sentimental as if Olivia isn't going to be twenty minutes away" he entered her bedroom.

"Oh shut up" Olivia playfully rolled her eyes, wrapping her brother in for a hug.

"It'll finally be quiet in here again" Jordan joked as he shrugged out of their hug. 

"You loved the noise though" Olivia nudged his arm.

"I didn't" Jordan added. "Halo screaming at the top of her lungs every night. Angel would always yell "the floor lava!" while running around the house. And, oh! Dare I forget Kross' new obsession with Spider-Man and his failed attempt at flipping off of the couch. That right there is the epitome of stress" he mentioned and Olivia couldn't help but laugh.

"The amount of times Angel would put ketchup in my coffee while we played restaurant. Kross calling me "N" instead of my name because he can't fully say it yet. Halo's shit seeping through her diaper as I rocked her to sleep" Jordan smiled as he thought of his recent memories. "Those damn kids...I love them dearly" he said and Olivia smiled.

"I know you do" Olivia nodded. "I just want to personally thank you for stepping into that role. For loving our kids as if they were your own. They will forever love their Uncle Jordan" she told him and he nodded his head.

"I just hope you and Spencer are prepared for me to visit daily" he mentioned.

"I thought you couldn't wait for it to be quiet again?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Well yeah...but it doesn't mean I won't miss you guys" Jordan admitted and she smiled at her brother.

"We'll miss your dumbass too" she told him and Jordan laughed.

***

 "So...what do you think of this one?" Olivia inquired as she'd shown Simone her cellphone. She and Spencer spent days debating on which entry table to get for their foyer.

"This one is dope" Simone began and Olivia nodded. "Entry tables are meant to make a statement of your home...and this one is the right one for the both of you" she explained.