24. Hold On

Spencer James

"Liv, baby, I gotta go" Spencer announced as he approached her in the living room. "My pops in the hospital...he had a heart attack" he revealed.

"What?!" Olivia's eyes widened and Spencer nodded his head. "I'm coming with you" she told him. Olivia informed Laura on the news she received handing Kross to her. Laura paced back into the living room to be with everyone else.

"I am so sorry, Spencer. Please keep us updated on what's going on" Laura said with Simone and Jordan nodding their heads.

"Will do" Spencer replied interlocking his hand with Olivia's. The two exited the Baker residence, rushing to his car. For most of the ride, the couple sat in silence. Olivia silently prayed for Mr. A and his health, while Spencer sat with guilt. 

"...I need him to be okay" Spencer spoke up, causing Olivia to glance at him. "That's all I need, truthfully" he told her. Olivia reached for his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. 

Within fifteen minutes the couple arrived at the hospital. Both were in desperate need for answers, in addition to wanting Mr. A to be okay. After speaking with the receptionist then doctor, Spencer and Olivia were allowed to see him.

"You go in first...I'll wait out here" Olivia told him. He thanked her before pecking her cheek. Spencer heaved a big sigh, shaking his hands to relieve the nerves he'd been feeling. 

"Pops..." Spencer spoke up as he entered Mr. A's room.

"Spencer? What chu doin' here?" Mr. A inquired as he glanced at him in confusion.

"What chu mean what I'm doin' here?" Spencer chuckled as he approached the side of the hospital bed. "I heard what happened to you and I'm here make sure you good" he explained.

"You see me? I'm doin' good, son" Mr. A flashed a smile. "Go on and go back home, you don't need to see me like this" he dismissed Spencer.

"Nah...I ain't goin' no where" Spencer began. "All the times you've shown up for me...it's my turn to show up for you. So...the doctor said you ain't been takin' yo blood pressure medication? What's up with that?" he continued. 

"Oh don't listen to him. He don't know what he talkin' bout" Mr. A said and Spencer furrowed his eyebrows. "Go home, Spencer. I'm fine" he said in a stern voice.

"Pops...somethin' is wrong with you-"

"Ain't nothin' wrong wit' me!" Mr. A scolded.

"Clearly there is since you laid up in this bed!" Spencer slightly raised his voice in frustration. "Now I'ma ask yo ass again, why haven't you been takin' yo medication?" he questioned.

"Watch how you-"

"Fuck all of that right now" Spencer interrupted him. "Why haven't you been takin' yo medication?" Spencer repeated.

"Because of the side effects, Spencer" Mr. A answered in defeat. He didn't want to argue with Spencer about his health. "I felt dizzy and light headed all the time...shit ya old mans could barely function at work" he explained, chuckling.

"I don't know why you laughin' cause ain't shit funny bout this" Spencer said with a straight face. "Instead of communicating with yo doctor about yo symptoms, you thought it would be a good idea to stop takin' the shit altogether?" he questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

"Spencer-"

"I don't think you understand how big of a deal this is to not just me, but to every damn body! We'd all be devastated had somethin' happened to you. How could you willingly do somethin' so stupid?!" Spencer cut him off.