29. Survive The Night

Spencer James

Spencer quietly tip-toed towards the back door of the house. His head was on a swivel as he scanned every corner of the area. He hadn't seen anyone enter the house but he did see the back door was partially busted. He carefully opened the door, watching as the broken glass hit the ground.

Out of his peripheral vision he'd seen a black figure standing in the backyard. "Shit!" he mumbled as he discreetly walked through the door. Spencer thought about yelling to scare the person away but had another idea instead.

He fired several warning shots in the air, causing the person to jump from the sounds of the gun. Spencer watched as the person ran out of the backyard and off of the Baker property. Before he walked back into his home, Spencer noticed a few sparks in the grass area. His eyes widened as the sparks suddenly turned into large flames.

He did not have time to react, he quickly reached for the water hose. "Fire! Fire!" Spencer yelled at the top of his lungs, hoping one of his family members heard him from up the stairs. He started to violently cough as the smoke captured his throat.

"Spencer!" Jordan's eyes widened as he went to help him. "What the hell happened?!" he questioned.

"That don't matter right now! Put this shit out!" Spencer replied, watching as the water hit most of the flames. "Awe shit!" he yelled as the water suddenly stopped pouring from the hose.

"Spencer-"

"Get everybody outta the house! Now!" Spencer ordered and Jordan ran back inside of the home. 

"Excuse me, Spencer! We've called 911 and they should be on the way soon!" a neighbor from next door peeked over the gate. "We're here to help you guys!" the neighbor  announced as he and his wife dragged their hose over the gate. 

"Thank you!" Spencer reached for their hose, continuing to place water on the growing flames. 

"You need to back away now! It's getting too big!" the neighbor warned. Though Spencer wanted to continue putting the flames out, it was best that he let the firefighters do their job. He then handed the hose back to the couple before running towards the front of his house.

"Spencer!" Olivia called out as she'd seen him running in her direction. "Are you okay?" she inquired, wiping her tears from her face.

"I'm aight baby. I'm good" Spencer pecked her forehead. "You guys okay?" he inquired.

"Trying our best to be" Olivia replied as she held their son in her arms.  "I don't want to scare them" she referred to their kids.

"The good thing is that nobody's hurt and we safe" Spencer watched as the firefighters arrived at their house.

"I can't believe this" Laura sighed in obvious distress. "I am glad that we're all safe...but who would even do this to us? I mean we have babies for God's sake!" she said and Jordan rubbed his mom's shoulder.

"I don't know..." Spencer's demeanor turned cold. "But I'ma get to the bottom of this" he affirmed. The firefighters and police then approached the family for questioning.

***

"Come on in" Mr. A welcomed Spencer and the Bakers into his home. No one felt comfortable staying home for the night, so Spencer reached out to his father for help.

"Thank you Pops" Spencer heaved a big sigh as he closed the front door behind him. Mr. A reached for his sleeping Angel, gently rocking her in his arms.

"No need to thank me...this what we do. We look after each other" Mr. A told him. "How are y'all holdin' up?" he inquired.

"I'd say we're all a bit shaken up" Laura replied. "We've never encountered anything like this before" she said, causing Mr. A to glance at Spencer.