9. I Became An Aide For The Emperor.

Dad started working while I sat on his lap, he had kept the sketch I made aside and I kept wondering why hadn't he let me down yet.

Wasn't it a bit uncomfortable to have a child on your lap while you're working?

Despite that, I didn't say anything but just read what he was writing. His handwriting was flowy and a bit bad, well, I was expecting his handwriting to be elegant and beautiful but it didn't seem like that.

Unknowingly, I started humming as the sound of scratching was a little boring.

"Where did you hear that?" Dad suddenly asked and I looked at him.

"What?"

"That lullaby that you sing to me."

Would it be okay if I said I made it?

"I don't really remember where I heard it, it seems like I'd heard it a long time back so, I only remember those few lines."

"It doesn't seem like a lullaby." He said as he kept writing while I leaned back in his chest.

"Hmm. But it works since it's a good song."

"You like that song?"

I nodded.

"Why?"

"I can relate to it." I said absentmindedly.

"Sometimes it is obvious that we don't deserve some things yet, we can't help but desire them and at the end we end up ruining those things and hurt ourselves as well." I spoke.

"Where did you learn these things?" Dad asked suddenly sounding agitated.

Shit, did I make him angry?!

"Ah... When I and Athy used to play in the meadow, there were a lot of butterflies there so, I used to think that I want to have one, so, I tried to catch one,"

I looked down at my hands as I recalled this particular thing of the time before I had recalled my past life memories.

"But then its wings got torn and it died... I felt really sad that because of me it lost its life... So, from that day I just started admiring their beauty from far since they looked really happy when they were doing their own thing."

"You don't have to worry about such useless things." Dad said and I smiled.

"I knew you'd say that, yet, everyone at least once in their lives, end up ruining something that they love... And then they keep hurting from within. Sometimes they recover from it but sometimes... they carry the pain with them for all their life."

I was used to talking to him in riddles like this to help him trigger memories about mother and I knew Athy must have already talked about her to Lily and Felix. Well, I remember seeing her in the manwha but I still wondered how beautiful she would be in flesh that even Dad loved her so much that he couldn't get over her.

"Where do you learn such things? I should tell Felix to stop you from reading such useless things."

I laughed at that despite his tone being serious.

"Not everything that we know is learned through books," I said as I tilted my head back and looked at him.

"Life teaches us some things in the harshest ways possible. It's up to us if we learn the lesson or keep repeating the mistakes."

I smiled at him and he stared at me for a few seconds before he looked at the paper in front of him.

"If you're going to keep spouting nonsense then check this." He said as he grabbed a few papers and rested them in my hands.