chapter fourty three

♈︎

the sun beat down mercilessly, casting long shadows over the arid landscape. we were in a remote region known for its ruthless drug cartels, a place where danger was at every damn corner. i had trained hard for this moment, honing my skills in combat and surveillance. but deep down, i knew that thought could only take me so far.

i took a deep breath, trying to push away my doubt. i huffed, looking out the windows. "where are we?"

"slab city." soap huffed, waiting as we stopped at the sketchy alley. "we wait here for 'deals' then you know what to do."

"oh so you just think this is a game of assassins creed?" i scoffed, eyeing soap.

"well if you can put a gun to a man's head and squeeze answers out of him then yes, perhaps." he shrugged his shoulders, cocking his gun back and opening the door.

i huffed and looked over to simon who was cleaning off his gun. he side eyed me, looking down. "what? get out through soaps side."

"yea great." i sighed, scooting over in the seat and opening the door, stepping out. "how long are we waiting? i want this over with."

"you gonna set me on fire if i don't tell you?" soap nudged my shoulder, grinning.

"the sun might beat me to it." i looked down to my hands, fixing my gloves. "this weather is horrible." i felt it get harder to breathe in all of this gear.

"you get used to it." he looked over to simon that was walking over to us. "we splitting up?" he squinted his eyes as the clouds moved away from the sun.

simon nodded, walking past soap and i. i shaded my eyes from the sun, feeling beads of sweat run down my face from my forehead.

"you nervous or just hot?" soap tilted his head while looking down at me.

"both." i sighed, looking up at soap and squinting my eyes.

"right then- let's go."

                                     ♈︎

hours passed as we walked to a building. worn down and unused. soap flicked his cigarette butt from his fingers, sniffling and rubbing his nose. we walked to the back of the building, standing close to the door. "i break down this door, and you go in with ur gun drawn." he spoken in a stern tone, piercing me with his eyes.

i nodded, taking my gun out the holster. "ready when you are." i took a deep breath, watching soap kick the door down. i quickly raised my gun, scanning my surroundings and i slowly walked inside.

"head up the stairs." soap followed behind me, walking with a quick pace. "take down anyone you see." he cleared his throat, creeping up the stairs behind me.

my breath slightly became heavier as my adrenaline increased. i checked the door on the left of me, peaking inside. "soap.." i said with hesitation, looking behind my shoulder.

he checked the door on the right, huffing as he groaned out of frustration. "fuck."

"soap!" i snapped, looking at him. "it's too quiet here, i think it's a set up." i furrowed my brows, looking behind me as i felt more paranoid every second. "we need to go-" a gun shot interrupted me, making soap and i back up into the rooms.

"shit!" soap peaked behind the door and firing his gun twice. "take them out!" more shots were fired from down the hall.

i took a deep breath and peaked behind the door, aiming my gun and firing a few times. i reloaded, peaking again and aiming at the next person i seen, hitting them in the chest. i sighed out of relief, getting back into position. "soap? soap are you- are you okay?" i called out, breathing heavily.

"soap!" i peaked behind the door, looking into the room he was in seeing nothing in the darkness coming from it. "oh fuck.." i quickly sprinted to the room across, grabbing my flash light and turning it on. i walked through the large room, searching for any signs of soap. i found a trail of small drops of blood, feeling my heart beat out of my chest, hoping it wasn't what i thought it was. "fuck fuck fuck.." i whispered to myself. i heard shuffling as i walked past a dresser, turning my head quickly to the noise and pointing my flash light towards it. soap was on top of something, scuffling it. "soap!"

soap grunted, getting up off of the ground and huffed. "shit." he groaned, turning to me and wiping blood off of his goggles. i pointed my flash light to the ground to see one of the cartel members stabbed multiple times.

"what happened?" i questioned as i looked over the body. i grimaced under my balaclava seeing the blood pooling around the man.

"ask later, we need to move." he walked past me, making his way out of the room. i follower behind, keeping my gun close to me.

"i think we cleared them." i looked down at the ground as we stepped into the hallway, stepping over the dead bodies.

"just about." soap turned back around and walked down the hall again. i quickly turned and caught up to him. as the moment of silence was passing i never would have thought i would see soap this serious. a high cheerful goofball to a horrid killing machine.

i dissociated for bit after thinking too hard about it. soap swung open the front door of the building and stepped outside. i walked out into the night feeling the breeze hit my face through the balaclava. i felt all tension and adrenaline die down as we walked away from the building.

                                     ♈︎

we made it to a bus stop, sitting down at the bench.

"why are we sitting here?" i looked over to soap, lifting my goggles and resting them on my helmet.

"we're waiting for our ride." he leaned back against the glass, looking up at the sky.

"oh." i sighed, looking down at my feet and sighing. "so.. about the thing that happened earlier." i looked over to him again. "what did happen in the room?"

"well.." he leaned forward, lifting his goggles and resting them on his helmet as well. "one of them must've came in through another door. i was waiting for another shot and next thing ya know, he grabbed me from behind." he pulled down his balaclava and rubbed his beard.

"oh- well i wish i paid more attention to you, i could've helped." i looked back down shamefully.

"nope, you did good focusing on the mission."

                                     ♈︎