Chapter 4: Korean Mafia

Jung Whee In was now in her apartment. She is planning to pack before she goes to sleep for the night. She knew it was the best thing to do if she was to be ready for tomorrow. With that said, she scanned the place. This has been her home for years. Come to think of it, did she really feel at home here? Maybe. At least she had a place to stay at. It wasn't really anything fancy, just a space enough for an individual. But it did feel cozy. Or at least she likes to think so.

She approached the couch before she sat down. The room was a little dim, as the only light that illuminated the place came from a small table lamp in the corner of the room near the window. Whee In looked out the window. There were different people passing by. People. They always amused her. She crossed her legs and tried to sit back. But she saw a book on the coffee table in front of her instead. She barely noticed it earlier but she picked it up.

'The Korean Mafia: What the Mob Is'

Whee In felt intrigued. She had read this book in the past although she has only seen it again now. Right. It wasn't really an actual book. It was more of a journal. Written by the late Mr. Ahn. Because who would write a book about the mafia? It is supposed to be a secret organization after all.

Whee In flipped open the first pages. Mr. Ahn mentioned the background and history of the Korean Mafia. Whee In decided to follow the words with her finger.

........................................................................................................................

The Korean Mafia is a concept which hardly no one dreams of. Not really because of the word mafia, which has a root word meaning scoundrel coming from Italy. It generally means an organization, so you can call something a mafia on your own whim. What makes it a strange concept, is the fact that Italians were the first to establish the meaning of mafia as being a secret organization — a family made to be a syndicate. And although there are similar concepts in Korean society, it is usually the typical street gangs that do petty crimes. Something that is on a lower level compared to what a mafia stands for. There were Japanese mafias, Russian, mafias, but not really a Korean Mafia. Or at least until the end of the second world war, when more foreigners started to come to the country. Among the first to establish themselves as mafioso were the Lees, with the leadership of Lee Han-bin. With that, they are also one of the biggest families even today, with the head being Lee Jongmin— the great grandson of Han-bin. While I myself do not find the reality of being a mafioso pleasurable, it is the only reality I have known. It has been instilled in me by my father, and in my father by my grandfather, and in my grandfather by my great grandfather. It is not an easy thing to do, but I remind myself that I must keep this family together. To protect what has been passed to me.

........................................................................................................................

Whee In closed the journal. She remembered that it was given to her by the late Mr. Ah during the first night of her father's funeral years ago. Mr. Ahn must have seen it in Whee In's eyes, the desire to be a part of her father's world and seek retribution. And the journal certainly helped. It added fuel to the fire. Whee In put the journal down beside her. After reading the first page, she was reminded that she would have really admired the Lees, had they not sent their men to ambush Mr. Ahn and her father in the past, leading to her father's death. And Lee Jongmin being the main suspect for killing Mr. Ahn and Mr. Moon last month.

Whee In had clenched her fist. When she realized this, she calmed herself down and slowly opened her palm. It was useless. The family's current situation did not call for anger. What was needed now was stability and security, something Whee In hopes she can provide. But then again, in the end Hyejin will still be the one to decide on things. Whee In could only hope things will be manageable tomorrow.

She stood up and started to gather her things and pack some of her clothes. She also opened a couple of containers with guns kept inside — a Glock G19 in the first one and a SIG-Sauer P226 in the second.

After hours of packing, she was finally done. She stood in the room with her arms on her hip and a bit of sweat on her forehead. She wiped her sweat and went to get a glass of water. She then came back to her couch and looked around if she missed anything. She checked her watch. It was minutes past ten o'clock.

Whee In looked at the wall for a few seconds before blinking. The silence made her think of another thing, and it was the thought that perhaps she didn't really have a life outside of the mafia. But who cares, really? She's been a mafioso for a long time now. She closed her eyes. It's been years since Whee In had even met with a person without the thought of doing them harm. Of course, things were different in the past. Especially in high school. There were many instances where boys and even girls had confessed to Whee In. And there were a few times that she liked them back. Again, it's in the past now. Because the last time that Whee In made an effort in dating a boy, it ended up with her giving the boy a black eye. Thinking of it now, Whee In laughed. If both her parents were alive, they would've had opposite reactions. It would have been really funny. But now, only she knows about it. She sighed.

She opened her eyes and then stood up. She went to her bed and instantly lied down. She was sleepy now and she yawned. Before closing her eyes, she recalled everything that had happened earlier that day, remembering all the important details. Then finally, she closed her eyes.

Unsurprisingly, she saw a familiar set of eyes in her dreams, looking at her in an indescribable way. And of course, it belonged to the new head of the family.

"Ahn Hyejin..." Jung Whee In muttered as she eased into the night and fell asleep.