Chapter 42: The Last Time I'll Lie

Jung Whee-in was anything except asleep in the dead of night. She was wide awake and her eyes were open, focused on the sight before her. Silence ruled the moment, and no words came forth.

Laying to her left was a woman. This woman was her boss, Ahn Hyejin, and this woman was also the only person she loved. Whee-in loved her more than everything and everyone else, so much she would kill and die for her.

Whee-in kept looking at Hyejin who was fast asleep. Her breathing was slow and steady. She looked peaceful, something which made Whee-in happy to see.

Underneath the sheets, Whee-in could feel Hyejin's warmth, as their bodies were unrestrained by clothes and their legs were intertwined. Whee-in smiled unknowingly, wondering how Hyejin was so effortlessly beautiful. She nudged forward quietly.

Hyejin must've been alerted by the sudden movement, her eyes slowly opening to the sight of Whee-in simply smiling. She sighed, realizing Whee-in was still there. She closed her eyes, softly muttering in a low voice, "What are you doing?"

"Watching you sleep" Whee-in replied.

Whee-in's response made the half-awake Hyejin smile. "Go back to sleep, silly" Hyejin poked at Whee-in's dimple as she smiled.

Whee-in held Hyejin's hand gently. "Hey, Hyejin?" she called out to her.

"Hmm?" Hyejin's eyes were closed, but she moved a little closer, her arm over Whee-in's.

"You know I love you, right?" Whee-in asked, her brown eyes gazing at her.

"Yeah, I do." Hyejin answered

"Please always remember that no matter what happens, I love you" Whee-in said sincerely.

"I love you more" Hyejin responded, despite feeling the ambiguity in Whee-in's words.

Whee-in embraced Hyejin and whispered "I love you"

"Why are you saying all of this so suddenly?" Hyejin wondered as she felt Whee-in's warm embrace.

"Because we're not promised tomorrow. All I know is that I love you. So much." Whee-in told her the truth

"Why do I have the feeling that you'll disappear from me, Whee-in?" Hyejin asked, whispering as she slowly fell back asleep.

"I don't know. I don't want to either. I can only hope I don't" Whee-in replied, seeing Hyejin fall asleep again.

"I'm scared.. You may never forgive me for everything, Hyejin " Whee-in muttered before she closed her eyes and went to sleep, eventually letting go of Hyejin's hand.

Now, Whee-in was standing before Hyejin in her office. Hyejin sat behind her desk as usual.  Whee-in was gathering the courage to say what she had in mind.

Hyejin looked up, meeting Whee-in's eyes. Whee-in had an unreadable expression, and Hyejin disliked it.

"Whee-in?" Hyejin broke the silence

"I'm sorry. I think I need to take a break."

Hyejin was a little surprised. She quickly thought about what Whee-in meant with what she said.
"What exactly do you mean?"