Chapter 50: At Ease

"I don't hate you anymore, dad. I just wish you were there for me. I just wish you didn't lie about everything. But what's done is done, and the only thing I can do now is to move forward" Whee-in sighed as she looked at his father's tombstone. She was finally letting go of the past and of her hatred. Her wounds from the last incident had healed, and although they left scars, Whee-in was thankful that she was still alive.

Whee-in recalled the night that her uncle died fifteen years ago. He had waved goodbye to her, and Whee-in, thinking it was her father, snuck inside his car. She watched him get shot multiple times as he shielded Mr. Ahn. The memory was now faint, and she was relieved with the fact that it was.

Whee-in sniffed the air as she closed her eyes for a second. She opened them and stood up. She looked down once more. She brought daisies to her father's grave every week, and made sure to visit. She was unable to give him a more proper funeral, as Taehyung was barely able to stop the Lees from burying Whee-in's father somewhere else.

"I'm going now, dad. I hope mom forgives you." Whee-in said as she walked away. She made her way back to her car and drove off.

Whee-in now stood in front of the gates to the Ahn mansion. Dong-hyeon greeted her as usual, informing her about how Hyejin has been. It was the least he could do for Whee-in.

Dong-hyeon was amused by Whee-in's patience and sincerity. It was already early winter and there was cold crisp in the November wind.

Whee-in had been standing and waiting outside the gates every day since she was dismissed and Hyejin stopped talking to her. Dong-hyeon realized how disappointed Hyejin must've been when Whee-in spared Han-mi. This day marked two months of Hyejin ignoring Whee-in.

Whee-in was Dong-hyeon's friend, but Dong-hyeon knew that he shouldn't interfere with his boss and her friend's relationship. So he did what he could and chose to tell Whee-in everyday about Hyejin's current state. He knew that Whee-in was trying to find a way to appease Hyejin's anger and talk to her, but the latter was still unready to forgive.

“I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Dong-hyeon.” Whee-in bid goodbye after she heard about Hyejin. “Keep an eye on her for me.” As of now, she was content that Hyejin was doing well and taking care of herself.

“Will do”, Dong-hyeon replied as he waved her off.

Whee-in took a deep breath as she got in her car. She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed before she started her car's engine. She tried to focus on driving but her mind was elsewhere. She shook away the thoughts from her head as she concentrated on the road.

Whee-in reached her next destination after a long while, which was a cemetery in Jeonju. This time, she was visiting the grave of her grandmother and mother. She knelt down, placing the flowers she had bought on the way before the two gravestones.

“I'm sorry, mom. I know I walked down a path that you never would have wanted for me. I've made  a lot of mistakes and I've hurt plenty of people. But I'm trying to fix things... There is a woman, mom. I love her but she's angry at me. I have yet to talk to her again, but I'm determined to win her back. I'll introduce you to her soon, mom.” Whee-in said, facing her mother's gravestone.

She then turned to her grandmother's grave. “Hello, grandma. I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit in a while... Grandma... Thank you for everything. For trying to live long enough to see me grow up. I hope you are finally at peace, grandma.”

A cold breeze rattled the branches of a nearby tree. Whee-in stood up. “I'll see you again soon, mom, grandma.” She then walked away.

It was already late evening and so Whee-in decided to go to an inn to spend the night.