Chapter 36: Distant Memories

Whee-in leaned back on the wooden chair she sat on. She was at her apartment. She hasn't been here in a while, but the place offered much needed silence. She had been alone for most of her life, but she had never felt lonely like this. She then sought comfort from drunkenness, as she raised her now empty glass and looked at it. She poured herself another glass of vodka as she let out a deep sigh. She drank all of the alcohol in one gulp, putting the glass down onto the wooden table.

Whee-in looked out of the windows. The rays from the sun wrapped the room in a golden hue. It was already afternoon and the sun was slowly sinking in the horizon, being concealed by the taller building that spread across the neighborhood.

She had lost track of time. How many glasses had she drunk and how long had she been drinking? She didn't know. All she knew was that she didn't really eat much. But she didn't care. The afternoon breeze and the alcohol was enough to warm her body, but not her heart. In her mind, she saw Hyejin smile at her and look at her with adoration. A faint smile appeared on Whee-in's face, shortly before the image of Hyejin's smile became blurry, and was replaced by the scene of Hyejin crying and in pain.

A tear escaped from Whee-in's eye and she quickly wiped it off. She looked up to keep the tears from falling. She hated crying, and she hasn't cried ever since her father's funeral. She closed her eyes, something she soon realized was a terrible thing to do. Now it was all coming back to her...

The room was dark and only the sound of heavy breathing coming to ease could be heard.

Whee-in pulled the blanket which was by her foot to cover herself as she lied down.

"You're getting better with your tongue, Whee-in" Han-mi said, still panting a little as she covered her naked body and snuggled up to Whee-in, intertwining her legs with Whee-in's.

Whee-in said nothing and only smirked. She looked at Han-mi who met Whee-in's gaze and smiled softly.

There was silence for a short moment.

"Hey, Whee-in?" Han-mi called out in a low voice.

"Hmm?"

"You're not going to leave me, are you?" Han-mi asked worriedly.

"Why would you think that?"

"Nothing. I don't know.. I just feel like you're going to disappear from me."

"I won't, don't worry" Whee-in answered.

"You promise?"

"Promise." Whee-in said, kissing Han-mi's temple.

"I love you, Whee-in" Lee Han-mi uttered, hugging Whee-in tight.

Whee-in opened her eyes. She hated reminiscing. She hated her past, how she made a promise she couldn't keep, how she lied about not leaving. But she was only nineteen then. She was younger, and so naive. So much that she thought she could do things and get away with it without suffering the repercussions. She shouldn't have taken the job. She shouldn't have...

"This is Jung Whee-in, Mr. Lee. She's been a good kid, doing odd jobs for us. She even got rid of a rat. Will you consider accepting her?" Mr. Shin was Mr. Moon's good friend and Mr. Ahn's associate. He's been working for the Ahn family as an insider on the Lees, long enough to earn Lee's trust. And now he was introducing Whee-in to Lee Jongmin as part of their plan to help Whee-in get even and settle the score by taking Jongmin down.

"She's alright. I have a daughter about her age. It would be good for my daughter to have someone her age to keep an eye on her. Han-mi, come here." Lee Jongmin gestured to her daughter who had been looking at Whee-in since she stepped into the room.