Chapter 29: Promotion

"Yong, do you know what Hyejin's favorite flowers are?", Whee-in asked out of the blue, after contemplating on things.

"Huh? Oh, she likes gladiolus. But why are you asking about that so suddenly, Whee-in? Don't tell me...?" Yong stopped checking her phone and eyed Whee-in suspiciously.

Whee-in quickly looked away. "Uh, no. Of course not. It's just to make up for the other day. She seems to be pretty mad" Whee-in looked down on the ground. "Besides, why would you think I'd court her? It's not like I like her or anything..."

"Whee-in.. I never said anything about you courting Hyejin or liking her" Yong smirked.

Whee-in covered her mouth as she was reminded of what she just said. Her ears turned red, completely realizing that she just exposed herself.

"Don't worry about it, Whee-in. I won't tell Hyejin. I know you love your job and you want to excel at it" Yong played it off.

"Thank you, Yong" Whee-in sighed in relief.

"But please don't give Hyejin false hope. I'd hate for you guys to fall apart"

"That's why I hesitate. I don't want to give her false hope either. I'm not even sure about what I truly feel. It's troublesome, you know?" Whee-in put her hands on her pocket.

"Maybe you're sure and you just don't want to admit it? Just like in my case. But yours is far more complicated. You both have your jobs that restrict you. Push and pull can't be applied to you guys." Yong looked at Whee-in thoughtfully.

"Maybe.." Whee-in's eyes wandered off. "Speaking of which, the end of the training and the promotion is next week. You just need to endure a little bit more"

"I don't even know. Right now, Moon thinks I hate her. I doubt she'll want anything to do with me" Yong sighed. Her eyes could not hide the pain.

"Well, you can clear things up then. I wouldn't have suggested you a plan if I think she didn't felt something for you"

"That... About that.." Yong hesitated before she whispered in Whee-in's ears.

Whee-in felt bad but she also smiled. It just means there is still hope for the two. Moon smiling? It's rare but it happened. Moon crying? There was only one in a million chance of that happening.

"Well, at least now you know how she feels. Hang in there a little longer, Yong" Whee-in tapped Yong's back gently

"Yeah.. I guess" Yong tried to smile.

Whee-in then turned to leave, but Yong called out to her.

"Hyejin doesn't like flowers too much. But she loves food, so you should probably take her to dinner often."
(Seriously, who doesn't love food?)

Whee-in turned around and nods at Yong before walking away.

It was a hell week back at the company, and Hyejin was starting to be drained. But she was surprised to see a single gladiolus on her desk when she came by her office that morning. She smiled seeing the flower, wondering who left it.

Hyejin looked at Whee-in who didn't say anything and instead approached her with coffee. Hyejin took the coffee, examining Whee-in and trying to read what was going on in her mind. She sat down on her chair and picked up the flower, still smiling. She was going to be here all week, but if this is what she sees first thing in the morning, she doesn't mind too much.

Oddly enough, that evening, Whee-in asks her out on dinner. This caught Hyejin off guard, but she remembered that Whee-in was still not off the list and she was probably doing this for her forgiveness. Hyejin played difficult but she couldn't ignore it when Whee-in mentioned beef tripe. Hyejin ended up having dinner with Whee-in.