Chapter 47: Living The Lies

“Hyejin.... " Whee-in muttered. Her back was bleeding. She was soaked to the bone. She was tired and she was slowly losing her consciousness. After Han-mi had lashed her and poured isopropyl on her wounds, she took her to a different room.

It was then that Whee-in's air was tested. Han-mi had dipped Whee-in's head under water several times, only bringing it up when she was about to lose her air.

Whee-in couldn't remember how many times she almost died. But she kept telling herself that this was also her punishment for being reckless in the past. Whee-in sealed her mouth. She could tell that her lips were swollen from Han-mi forcibly kissing her.

Whee-in rested her head against the wall. She was still on her feet, still bound by ropes. She had overheard Han-mi's men who came to the torture room earlier. Lee Jongmin was on his way to electrocute Whee-in.

Right now, Whee-in was coming to accept that her estranged father was dead. She recalled everything that happened which had lead to this moment.

After Whee-in had taken a nap at the inn, she returned to the house of Hoseokʼs uncle.

She caught the man who had been watching her.

The man was somewhere in his fifties, he had a beard and there were several gray strands in his head. He had wrinkles and deep lines near the corner of his mouth, which were probably a result of constant frowning. All in all, he looked like a grumpy, deadbeat, old man.

The man knew this day would come. He looked at the woman before her, who had cold fire in her eyes.

Whee-in didn't know how to feel at the moment, but she wanted answers.

“I've read Mr. Ahn's letter. I know his side of the story. I'm willing to listen to yours. Just tell me everything.”

Whee-in wanted this to be over quickly. She was quickly despising this place.

Mr. Jung spoke up.

“It was my twin brother who died in the ambush 15 years ago. I left the family and never looked back.”

“Why'd you do it?” Whee-in's voice was flat, void of any emotions

“I cut a deal with the Lees. I didn't know that they were going to pull an ambush attack.”

“You didn't know? Yeah, right” Whee-in scoffed

“I asked my brother to take my post. I was sure that Mr. Ahn would never notice the difference. Even you didn't notice. The one who said goodbye to you, and the person whom you saw die was your uncle.”

“Then I conclude that you are a stupid snitch. You sold out the family and you deserted your daughter” Whee-in uttered, looking up at Mr. Jung defiantly.

“I needed the money. You were sick —” Mr. Iung tried to reason out.

Whee-in looked at him indifferently. “You know what I've done with these hands... How much bloodshed I've seen? Do you know that while you were out there somewhere wandering, I was fighting for my life.. ? Do you have any idea what you did to me? Do you? Huh?!”

“You were sick and I chose to betray the family to save you”

“Then maybe it was better if you let me die as a child! Death would have been so much better than having to live a life of lies! Your cowardice..! Your cowardice pushed me to walk down a dark path, one that I thought would bring me satisfaction. I killed people! I... Killed... " Whee-in looked at her hands. For a moment's flicker, she could see blood in them. “I took lives and did unthinkable things just so I could avenge you. I used an innocent woman to give you justice. Only to learn that you were alive all this time. But you chose not to show yourself, like a typical bastard.” Whee-in's face was grim and her tone was taunting