Chapter 23: You Before Me

A week after the conversation with Hyejin, Whee-in had made greater effort to not bring up anything which concerned their personal relationship. Out of all her jobs, this one was definitely one of the most difficult.

To distance herself while remaining proximately close with Hyejin was like trying to balance two heavy rocks on each arm and walking on a wire up in the air at the same time. And now she was thinking about all this while quietly walking on the back field of the mansion.

It was almost midnight, but Whee-in couldn't sleep easily tonight- the reason either that she felt hot in the quarters or her mind was just filled with plenty of thoughts.

Whee-in ran her fingers through her hair. Things were not made easier by the fact that next month, there was going to be a party to be held by the Jang family for their 'business' and their 'business partners'. Of course it was not only meant to be for real businessmen, it was also meant for family heads. Hell in its grandest form. To be held in one of the hotels the Jang family owned. Of course.

Whee-in shook her head. Thinking about all these things didn't make her sleepy, it only made her tense. She sighed and continued walking.

All of a sudden, a familiar face appears. It was the same capo who handed her the flowers the other day, and he was also the one supposedly patrolling in front of the mansion at night.

"Ms. Whee-in..!​ I.. " the capo looked like he ran from there to here. He looked nervous about something and he couldn't look Whee-in in the eye.

"What is it? Why are you here?" Whee-in asked. She felt a tingle in her spine, almost as if something ominous was about to happen. She prepared herself for anything.

"I think-- I think I saw someone sneak into the boss's room- I'm not sure but I-"

Before​ the capo could continue, Whee-in had run off to the mansion. She had a bad feeling and she didn't care if the capo wasn't sure. She was quick on her feet and the drowsiness she was starting to feel earlier disappeared. She felt the adrenaline in her veins pumping as she moved up the stairs as quickly and quietly as possible.

Shit. Shit.

With every second that passed, Hyejin was in danger. Whee-in made her way to the closed door to Hyejin's room.

Whee-in then had to make a decision. She felt her gun. No. No guns. It was impractical for the moment and it would be too messy. She quickly pulled out her pocket knife instead. She took a deep breath. She was not the best with knives, but she needed to be efficient now. Whee-in slowly opened the door.

And she was right on time, as an unknown intruder had made his way inside Hyejin's room through the balcony. He was about to crawl into Hyejin's bed, in his hand a knife with a blade about five inches long. He looked at Whee-in as she entered the room.

It was a little dark, the lights in the room and the lamp beside Hyejin's bed were off, the only light illuminating the room was coming in through from the windows and the balcony. She couldn't quite figure out the intruder's exact appearance, but she was sure it was a guy.

Whee-in pointed her knife at the intruder as she put her index finger on her mouth, signaling the intruder to keep quiet as they settled this the usual stab-and-slash way. Hyejin did not need to see this stupidity, not when she was sleeping so peacefully.

The intruder turned to Whee-in and swiftly dashed to her direction, knife in hand and his brows furrowed.

Swish.

He swung the knife across the air, almost slashing Whee-in's throat if she hadn't ducked. He was going for a kill.

Whee-in realized how serious this guy was. As she evaded the attack, she found an open opportunity and elbowed the guy's abdomen, making him curl. But he remained up in his feet as he charged at Whee-in again. Whee-in dodged, before throwing a knee to his stomach, making the guy slump to the floor.