Chapter 20: Bound

Yong stood in the middle of the mansion's backfield and looked up at the bright night sky illuminated by the big moon, trying to count the stars.

Moon joined her and she couldn't hide her smile as she watched Yong stargazing. It was a hot summer night, and Moon chose to wear a simple white button down shirt. She kept looking at Yong silently. When Yong turned to her, however, Moon quickly looked away.

"Byul?" Yong broke the silence.

"Yes?"

"What do you think of Whee-in?"

Moon thought quickly. 'Why is Yong asking this now? She wants to hear other people's opinion of her girlfriend? Is that it?'

"Well..." Moon cleared her throat. She looked down and lightly kicked the ground "I don't know her very well, but if she treats you right, then I guess I'll approve of you two" Damn. It took a lot for Moon to answer that question and not try to sound like she cared.

Hearing Moon's answer, Yong almost started to laugh. "What are you talking about, Byul? You make it sound like Whee-in and I are in a relationship. We're just good friends, you know."

'So they are not in love.' For some reason, Moon felt happy to hear it from Yong.

"I actually like someone else" Yong looked at Moon meaningfully, then at the sky again.

Huh. 'Who could it be'? Moon wondered, looking up.

Whee-in sneezed as she was walking inside the mansion. How could she be sneezing? The night air was hot and she had no allergies either. It made no sense. She approached a capo who was on nightly patrol.

Whee-in asked about where Hyejin was. It was still eight in the evening, and Whee-in was almost certain Hyejin was still awake. The soldier pointed to the study and said Hyejin had been there since she ate dinner.

Whee-in decided to go to the study. She knocked on the closed door.

"Come in", Whee-in heard Hyejin say so she opened the door.

Whee-in entered the study and closed the door behind her.

The study was as big as ever, accommodating four big bookshelves in one row. It felt like it was the same as Whee-in remembered it. The lights were the same. The floor was still the same hardwood, and the smell of the books welcomed Whee-in. In front of her was the same green desk lamp sitting on the same wooden desk, and the same chair. Nothing had changed, except that it was Hyejin who was here now instead of her father.

Whee-in quickly looked around, intrigued. She expected Hyejin to be sitting on the desk but she was nowhere to be found. She decided to walk further, trying to find her boss. She stopped walking when she saw Hyejin looking at a book she just took from a bookshelf.

"This isn't it" Hyejin muttered as she flipped through the pages rapidly. She sighed as she closed the book and returned it. She then saw Whee-in in front of her and she almost jumped out in surprise.

"Oh. You're here." Hyejin didn't notice or hear Whee-in enter the room, being too distracted with finding something.

"You seem busy" Whee-in worded. She was planning to ask Hyejin about something. But now, seeing Hyejin a little frustrated, she became hesitant.

"I'm trying to find my father's journals" Hyejin replied.

"Do you need help?" Whee-in asked

"I guess I could use some" Hyejin definitely wanted to get this done quickly.

"What do they look like?