Chapter 44: Ambush

My father died when I was eleven years old. That was fifteen years ago." Jung Hoseok said. He wasn't exactly sure why he was even telling a stranger about this, but somehow he felt comfortable. He didn't even find anything odd with sitting down across this woman.

My mother died just two years ago. We never got to know what really killed him. I heard rumors that he was shot, but I don't know if I want to believe that. I know my dad was a good guy" Hoseok added.

I see. I'm sorry for your loss" Whee-in said. She still couldn't rule out the possibility that this guy was his brother.

Oh, don't be. I'm actually doing well now. Jeonju is a good place to go to when you want to escape the capital and take a break."

You're from Seoul, Hoseok?" Whee-in asked

I am. And please call me Hobi. That's my nickname" he smiled.

"Then you can call me Whee-in." Whee-in smiled as well. She was amused by the guy's bright personality and trusting nature.

Where are you staying now?" Whee-in looked at Hoseok a little more sincerely.

I live in my late father's house. It's near my uncle's house. It's not too far from here."

You have an uncle? That's nice." Whee-in was finding ways to extract more information from him.

He's my father's brother. Twin brother, actually. They're identical."

The remark made Whee-in more suspicious than ever. It made what she thought completely possible. It was great help, but she couldn't stop herself from being disappointed.

“Hmm. Do you think you can show me the house? I'm actually a tourist and I would like to see more of the older houses in this place." Whee-in's intuition was telling her she was onto something. Seeing the house alone would be a great breakthrough.

“Sure! It would also be helpful so you don't get lost around here", Hoseok stood up.

“So we're going now?" Whee-in stood up as well

“Yeah!" Hoseok had a beaming smile plastered on his face.

“Okay... " Whee-in followed Hoseok out of the restaurant and back on the street.

The two walked side by side, and while they were making their way to the house, Hoseok kept talking about the area. He kept pointing, talking about things. He had a smile all the time, until they reached his father's house.

“Here we are" Hoseok proudly said, standing before the house's door.

Whee-in let out a succinct smile.

“And that's your uncle's house?" Whee-in asked, pointing out to the opposite house

“Yes, it is" Hoseok replied.

Whee-in nodded.

“Should we visit him?" Hoseok was finally asking the very question Whee-in wanted him to ask.

“Sure, why not?" Whee-in smiles for show.

They crossed the road that separated the two houses.

Hoseok knocked on the door. There was no response. He tried twisting the door knob, and to his surprise, the door was unlocked. He stepped in.

“Hello? Uncle, are you here?" Hoseok called out to the owner of the house.