Chapter 43: Hometown Fever

Whee-in walked the streets of Jeonju. It was almost evening when she had arrived earlier. She stretched out a little, observing the surrounding and looking for something.

What exactly was she looking for?

She was looking for a face. One that she knew, but she also didn't. She stopped in front of a familiar place. It was a shop where she and her late grandmother used to go to. She became lost in reminiscence until her phone rang.

Hello?" Whee-in picked up the call

It's me." Whee-in instantly recognized her acquaintance's voice. "I'm already here at your room" the acquaintance added.

I'm out but I'm on my way back. Are you sure no one knows about you being here?" Whee-in asked

100%, Whee" the acquaintance replied.

Let's talk when I get back there" Whee-in said, as she turned to go back to the inn where she was planning to stay for the night.

Sure. I'll be waiting."

Whee-in then ended the call. She put her phone on her pocket and checked her watch. 6:19. It was quickly becoming dark too. She walked back to the inn.

After a while, she was looking at her car in the parking space outside of the inn. She noticed the vehicle parked beside hers. She recognized the plate number and confirmed that her acquaintance was really here.

She walked in, passing the reception and going up the stairs to the floor where her room was. The place was quiet, something she appreciated. She stopped in front of door 28. She knocked, or rather, she spelled out her name with Morse code. She then heard a click as someone from inside twisted the door knob open.

Whee-in looked up at her acquaintance who smiled at her. Hey there, Whee-in" the acquaintance greeted her before opening the door and letting Whee-in inside.

Whee-in made sure no one was in the hallway before she entered the room.

“How did you even get here?" Whee-in asked, looking at her acquaintance sharply.

Well, I drove my car from the mansion, I arrived here at Jeonju, and I managed to convince the receptionist downstairs to let me up in here. Really, I actually asked for the room beside yours, and bribed the receptionist for the key to your room" Whee-in's acquaintance smiled.

“You're sure no one followed you?" Whee-in asked again

“Yes, I'm sure." her acquaintance briefly replied.

I hope you don't mind me using the bathroom."

“I don't." Whee-in responded. "Just put some clothes on, will you?" she could almost roll her eyes at her acquaintance who had his arms crossed, with only a towel wrapped around his waist.

Right. Sorry 'bout that" he scratched his head awkwardly. He went inside the bathroom with his clean clothes to get dressed.

Whee-in walked to the bed and sat down. She took off her suit and placed it down neatly. She looked at her acquaintance who was now in a clean white t-shirt and jogging pants. “Will you be here for long?" she asked.

“No, not really. I'll be back on the road at dawn. I just came to make sure you're doing okay." Whee-in's acquaintance stood before her.

“I can take care of myself, —"