Chapter 49: Salvation

Whee-in's body trembled intensely the very instant she felt the 20 milliamperes of electricity flow through her body. Her muscles contracted involuntarily, and she couldn't deny the pain it brought. It was made worse by the fact that her skin was still wet, and that she was bound to a chair, her hands tied together.

Lee Jongmin watched as Whee-in tried to resist the current. His face was dead serious, but deep inside, he was secretly enjoying torturing this woman. He looked at the meter. 20 milliamperes wouldn't kill Whee-in. But 30 would probably cause her to suffocate. Lee Jongmin looked at Whee-in amusingly, as he crossed his arms planning to turn the voltage up without warning.

Even with the door closed and him being outside of the room where Whee-in was, Kim Taehyung could hear Whee-in's reaction to the electrocution. Hearing Whee-in scream made his stomach flip. He quickly found an excuse to get away and call his brother.

"Oh, V-" Jin quickly picked up the call.

"Hyung! Where the hell are you guys?!" Taehyung could not help but yell in a shushed manner. He checked his watch. With every passing second, Whee-in was in danger.

"Stop yelling. We're on our way." Jin put the call on speaker.

"Well, hurry up! Whee-in is getting tortured. She's being electrocuted and I can't stop it! Once Jongmin cranks the current high enough, Whee-in. is. going. to. die. Do you even understand that, hyung?!" Taehyung was trembling in anxiousness. He had promised Whee-in he'll stick to the plan, so even if he wanted to, he was determined to not blow his cover.

"Shit. We have to hurry, Jin." Taehyung could hear Eric's voice in the background.

"I'm going as fast as I can. Just wait for a few minutes. Don't do anything stupid." Jin ordered. It was one of the few moments when he was truly serious, as he stepped on the gas, his brows furrowed and his lips sealed. The car accelerated. He looked at the cars that followed behind, especially at Hyejin's, where Yong, Moon and Hyejin were. He focused on the road again, determined to get there quickly.

"You guys better get here fast. Or else I will just have to do things my way." Taehyung clenched his fist, urgency evident in his tone.

"Taehyung, don't you dare-!"​ before Jin could warn his brother, he hang up.

Jin cursed silently. They were running out of time and they still had to cover some distance until they reach the Lee mansion. He went as fast as he could. Eric checked his seat belt nervously. He was in for a ride.

Taehyung interlocked his fingers and tried to stand still when he returned to his post earlier. He did his best to keep a straight face and fight the urge to kick that door open. He had a bit of hope when moments later, Han-mi passed by and entered the room. 'Hopefully, Han-mi will stop Jongmin from going too far', Taehyung thought.

He was right. Han-mi did stop Jongmin from ultimately killing Whee-in.

When the shocks stopped, Whee-in took a deep, deep breath. Her muscles still had spasms, and she could still feel her nerves shaking. It was excruciating pain all over her body, and for the one second that she could think clearly, she thought she had just seen her entire life flash before her eyes. This was, along with what happened five years ago, the closest she had come to death. She struggled to catch her breath and her eyes were closing.

“Make sure you clean up after yourself, Han-mi. Do not let her get away this time” Lee Jongmin's voice was unique enough for Whee-in to be able to recognize it even with her eyes closed.