🌻The Hanahaki Disease🌻

Dark splotches of a crimson substance were spattered out into a sink along with some yellow flower petals that had once belonged to a sunflower. They graciously landed themselves as they fell onto the sink's surface. The washbowl was becoming covered in the contents falling in as a teenage girl stood over it, holding onto the basin for dear life.

Tears of hurt stung her grey coloured eyes while she continued to cough out the flower petals that grew from inside her lungs. This was happening consistently now, and she hated it. It just wouldn't stop. Recently, throughout her days, Hailey Austin was having to see herself in a bathroom, right in front of a mirror, standing over a sink, and coughing up petals, particularly those of a sunflower.

The pain was absolutely unbearable for Hailey to handle. She didn't know how much more she could take. It was killing her inside. Out of everyone, it had to be her who developed the 'Hanahaki disease'. A condition in which the victim coughs or throws up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. Unfortunately, this was exactly what Hailey was going through right now. She deemed herself as one of the most unluckiest individuals on the planet earth.

How could this happen to her, she thought.

Why did this have to happen to her, she wondered.

Why did she have to fall in love with him?

School was over for the day, and most of the students had already gone separate paths to get back to their own homes. Hailey had originally planned to head home after a long, tiring day with her brother Zander and childhood best friend Luke. However, here she was in the school bathrooms, coughing up so much petals to the point where it was excruciatingly painful. Hailey felt weak and powerless, like there was nothing she could do except suffer. She had sensed that she was definitely going to be having more petals and blood come out from inside her body as the school day ended.

Hailey had made up an excuse to Zander and Luke of having to stay back in the school building to work on technical issues with Sean before finding herself in the situation she is currently in. The last thing she wanted was for them to find out she had the Hanahaki disease. How could she tell them this? It was just too much. Hailey knows that they are bound to find out eventually but she figured that was something for her future self to worry about.

Hailey had been dealing with this disease for a while now. Her lifestyle had changed since then, and her health was slowly deteriorating more and more with each passing day. She had no idea how much time she had left. It is only a matter of time before Hailey's lungs get filled with the flowers and the roots grow in her respiratory system. Since she has done nothing about the disease so far and has been merely dealing with it, it was only getting worse and worse, and more uncomfortable as it was gradually entering the last few stages.

Hailey took a deep breath to herself, coughing up the last few petals for now into the sink, along with some blood. Once that was finally done, Hailey closed her eyes and sighed. A single tear fell down onto her cheek, sliding down her pale skin. Then, another seeped out from her eyelid, making it two. Then it was three. Then four. Then five.

Oh.

She was crying.

Who wouldn't be?

Hailey wiped away all her tears as best as she could. She gazed up at her reflection in the mirror, taking a look at the awful state she was in. Hailey was an emotional train wreck. She was mentally and physically drained. This disease was really taking a lot out of her and was using up all her energy. It hurt for the girl to just move a muscle. She didn't know how to function properly anymore.

Hailey glanced down at the handbasin and started to examine all the flower petals she had coughed up. She could feel her hand reach out into the sink and pick up one of the bloodstained petals. She held it up to her face between her index finger and thumb. She took a slow breath and her eyes closed for a second, then opened again as she drifted into thought.